A shaft, stripping and shallow trenches expose several magnetite veins that occur in diorite and monzonite of the Cherry Creek unit of the Late Triassic-Early Jurassic Iron Mask batholith. Several (7) massive magnetite veins trend east and dip moderately to steeply north. Some are continuous for up to 274 metres having widths up to 9 metres.
The principal veins on the Cliff and Gift Crown grants (Lots 899 and 4798 respectively) are the Nos. 3 and 4. They strike east-southeast and dip either vertically or steeply north. The walls are generally sharply defined, but in places the veins either split or enclose sheets of country rock. The estimated magnetite content of the veins at the surface ranges between 50 and 90 per cent, and averages about 70 per cent. Other minerals include apatite, epidote, and possibly amphibole or pyroxene. Very small amounts of sulphides are present, with pyrite in excess of chalcopyrite. Vein No. 3 is intermittently exposed for 274 metres and has widths varying between 1.8 and 9.1 metres. Omitting sheets of country rock, the maximum and average width of this vein are 3.9 metres and approximately 2.4 metres respectively. Vein No. 4 is 2.1 metres wide at a point 18 metres north-northeast of the most easterly exposure of vein No. 3. It can be followed for 91 metres west-northwest, where its width is reported to increase to 9 metres. Because of caving of the trenches, only a vein 1.2 metres wide is now visible in that direction. In 1957, two holes were diamond drilled at minus 45 degrees to intersect the veins from the north-northeast. Drillhole No. 1, 184.4 metres long, is drilled from a point 91 metres slightly east of north of the caved shaft and at about 6 metres less elevation. It intersects two veins whose apparent widths are 1.6 and 2.7 metres respectively, five other veins of widths between 0.45 and 0.6 metres, and numerous veinlets less than 0.3 metre wide. The 1.6 metre intersection at 7.9 metres depth contains an estimated 80 per cent magnetite. The 2.7 metre intersection at 137.7 metres depth contains an estimated 75 per cent magnetite and lies nearly vertically below an outcrop of vein No. 3, whose width is 3.6 metres. Two smaller veins at 82 metres depth have a combined apparent width of 1.8 metres, which includes 0.6 metre of country rock. Their estimated contents of magnetite are 75 and 60 per cent respectively. Drillhole No. 2, 146.3 metres long, is drilled parallel to and approximately 126 metres east-southeast of hole No. 1 from a point whose elevation is about 12 metres less than that of the nearby showings. It intersects one 5.4 metre section of diorite containing an estimated 40 per cent magnetite, five veins of apparent width between 0.8 and 1.4 metres, seven veins of width between 0.3 and 0.6 metres, and numerous veinlets. The 5.4 metre intersection at 139.2 metres depth is vertically below the eastern showing of vein No. 4. It contains small amounts of chalcopyrite and is bounded by rock with little magnetite. The five veins of moderate width are intersected in the interval 72.8 to 105.4 metres. All but one have magnetite contents estimated between 70 and 80 per cent (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1957).
Assuming a 305 metre strike length, minimum width of 3 metres to a depth of 45 to 61 metres, No. 3 vein would contain not less than 181,420 tonnes of magnetite. Assuming a 4.5 metre width over a strike length of 76 metres, No. 4 vein would have a minimum of 45,355 tonnes (Geological Survey of Canada Economic Geology 3).
In 1926, a sample of a magnetite vein from the Magnet claim by the Department of Mines in Victoria analysed 50.7 per cent iron, 10.4 per cent insoluble, trace sulphur, 1.6 per cent phosphorus and 2.5 per cent lime (Geological Survey of Canada Economic Geology 3).
This property is located south of the Trans Canada Highway 1/97 about 11 kilometres west of Kamloops and 2.5 kilometres northwest of Sugarloaf Hill. The Cliff claim (Lot 899) was staked in the 1890s as part of the Pothook property (092INE023). The Pothook property was Crown granted in 1901 to The Scottish Copper Mines of British Columbia, Limited, and apparently abandoned shortly thereafter. In subsequent years four adjacent or nearby claims, the Magnet, Moose, Signal and Anvil, were staked and considerable exploration work done in stripping and trenching; a shaft was sunk on the Magnet claim in search for copper. Several hundred tons of iron (magnetite) ore were reported shipped during this period of activity. The four claims, held by George McDonald & associates of Kamloops in the 1920s subsequently lapsed. The Gift claim (Lot 4798), staked adjoining the Cliff claim on the east, was Crown granted to F.P. Newcome in 1942. The claim included showings formerly covered by the Magnet claim. In 1957, work on the Cliff and Gift claims, owned by F.P. Newcome, included diamond drilling in 2 holes totalling 330.7 metres. A small shipment of ore was made in 1960. Williams Crook Gold Quartz Mining Co. Limited acquired the Cliff and Gift claims in 1972.