The Goldfinch (Windflower) past-producing mine is located north of Menhinick Creek, approximately 8.5 kilometres northwest of Upper Arrow Lake and at an elevation of approximately 1030 metres.
The Menhinick Creek area contains several mineralized quartz veins hosted in northwest-trending, northeast-dipping, metamorphosed rocks of the Lower Cambrian and younger Lardeau Group. In this area, the Lardeau Group consists of Broadview Formation grey and green phyllitic grit and phyllite, and Jowett Formation green phyllite, limy green phyllite and greenstone. Foliation generally strikes 320 degrees and dips between 35 and 75 degrees northeast with a predominance of steep dips. The rocks have been isoclinally folded and complexly faulted. The Finkle Creek synform is a major structure that passes through the area.
The rocks in the area are grouped into two units. The first is a series of silver to grey to dark-grey gritty phyllites with local carbonaceous seams and layers of carbonate- sericite rock; mariposite occurs locally in highly carbonatized rocks. The second unit is composed of medium-green, non-bedded to streaky phyllitic greenstone with dark-green clasts and local silicic pebbles.
The Dorothy structure includes at least 23 quartz vein structures in seven zones: the main Dorothy zone, the East zone, the West zone, the Dorothy North zone, the Independence zone, the Goldfinch zone and the Scott Creek zone. Other quartz-carbonate veins are reported on the Vimey Ridge (L.12483) Crown grant to the west and on the Centre Star (L.5659) and Morning Star (L.5660) Crown grants to the southeast.
The Main or Dorothy zone, located on the Dorothy (L.12481) Crown grant, has been traced by drilling for a strike length of approximately 546 metres with widths between 1.8 and 9.1 metres, but averaging 3 to 3.6 metres, and tested to a vertical depth of 120 metres. The zone consists of native gold, pyrite, minor galena, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and trace tetrahedrite in a gangue of quartz with occasional calcite and graphite. Mariposite and sericite are also reported. Gold is generally associated with coarse-grained pyrite; visible native gold is rare but is present throughout the veins. The main ore zone (Dorothy) appears to be in an axial plane shear and is pod or lens shaped. The quartz vein terminates with abrupt pinch outs and also contains minor disseminated siderite pods. The quartz veins are both vertical and sub-horizontal and vary from very narrow veinlets a few centimetres wide up to 6 metres wide. Locally they resemble a stockwork with a general strike of 315 to 335 degrees and 50 degrees to vertical north dips. There is strong structural control, both through faulting and folding. Faults generally strike 335 degrees and dip steeply (80 degrees) southwest. Joints strike 315 degrees and dip flatly (20 degrees) southwest.
In 1979, a sample from the end of the Gold Finch adit yielded 13.7 grams per tonne gold over 2 metres (Property File - Kerr, J.R. [1979-06-30]: Report on the Independence Group of Claims).
In 1981, sampling of underground workings (face) yielded an average of 101.6 grams per tonne gold over 1.14 metres (Property File - Eaton Mining and Exploration Ltd. [1971-11-30]: Geological Sampling Program - Gold, Silver, Lead, Zinc Property). Other reports indicated the zone is reported to grade approximately 8.57 grams per tonne gold. Surface drilling has outlined a reserve of 149,700 tonnes grading 8.23 grams per tonne gold in the Dorothy vein, the original discovery zone (Property File - Eaton Mining and Exploration Ltd. [1971-11-30]: Geological Sampling Program - Gold, Silver, Lead, Zinc Property).
In 2009, drilling on the zone intersected three zones of massive pyrite mineralization that yielded up to 11.30 grams per tonne gold over 2.62 metres in hole W157 and 48.08 grams per tonne gold and 157.46 grams per tonne silver over the final 5.79 metres of hole W158, before entering the 210 under cut drift (Assessment Report 31445).
The East zone is located approximately 12 to 30 metres east and parallel to the Dorothy and has been drilled over a strike length of 150 metres and to a depth of 80 metres. This zone averages 1.98 metres wide and is comprised of en echelon quartz veining characterized by low sulphide content but carrying visible native gold in calcareous and graphitic argillites. Sulphide mineralization consists of galena, sphalerite and trace chalcopyrite.
In 1987, a best assay returned 92.55 grams per tonne gold over 1 metre (George Cross News Letter #224, 1987). Other intercepts include up to 32.2 grams per tonne gold over 7.77 metres in DDH 42 (Property File - Addie, G. [1987-04-14]: A New Gold Discovery by Windfall Mining Ltd. and Granges Exploration Ltd.). Sampling from seven drill holes yielded an average of 31.1 grams per tonne gold over an average width of 1.95 metres (Property File - The Northern Miner [1987-09-28]: News Clipping - Windflower extends zone on B.C. Goldfinch prospect). Reserves were reportedly estimated to be approximately 622,000 grams of gold at an average grade of approximately 32.4 grams per tonne gold (Northern Miner, November 30, 1987).
The West zone, located approximately 60 metres west of the main zone, has been drilled for 60 metres along strike and is a sulphide-rich zone containing coarse pyrite with native gold in quartz within graphitic phyllite like the Dorothy zone.
The Dorothy North zone, which is located on the Golden Eagle (L.12479) Crown grant, approximately 100 metres north and along strike of the main Dorothy zone, appears to be a separate and distinct zone. The Dorothy North zone has been followed for 80 metres along strike by drilling and is open along strike and at depth.
Drill results from this zone include: 4.85 metres grading 5.14 grams per tonne gold, 4.66 metres grading 8.57 grams per tonne gold, 3.17 metres grading 12.0 grams per tonne gold and 3.63 metres grading 11.67 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Granges Exploration Ltd. : Underground Program at Goldfinch). The Dorothy North zone is reported to have the potential for 136,080 tonnes grading 8.2 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Windflower Mining Ltd. [1987-11-21]: News Clippings - Windflower).
There are two principal quartz veins on the Independence Fraction (L.12480) Crown grant. These are hosted in phyllite and in and adjacent to a rusty-weathered diabase dike. The No. 1 vein was originally exposed by trenching, which follows the bedding planes for 120 metres striking 135 degrees and dipping 60 degrees to 70 degrees northeast. The No. 2 vein has been opened and drifted on from a short adit. This vein strikes 155 degrees and dips 70 degrees southwest.
In 1914, a splay of this vein, sampled across 4.9 metres, assayed 17.1 grams per tonne gold and 10.2 grams per tonne silver (Annual Report 1914, page 250).
In 1979, chip sampling yielded up to 16.2 grams per tonne gold over 2.4 metres from trench 2 and 4.8 grams per tonne gold over 4.3 metres from trench 1 (Property File - Kerr, J.R. [1979-06-30]: Report on the Independence Group of Claims).
In 1981, sampling of trenches yielded up to 15.7, 5.8 and 11.6 grams per tonne gold with 24.6, 7.5 and 11.6 grams per tonne silver over 0.15, 2.1 and 1.2 metres, respectively (Property File - Academy Enterprises Ltd. [1981-07-01]: Detailed Property Plan - B & C Number One Group - Figure 4).
The Scott Creek zone, discovered in 1987, is located approximately 500 to 750 metres north and 100 metres east of the main Dorothy zone and is composed of a series of quartz-carbonate and quartz stockwork veins with widths of 3 to 4 metres and occasionally 10 metres. The zone has been traced for approximately 100 metres. Gold values are associated with coarse pyrite mineralization. An adit is reported to the northwest and may relate to the Lost Cup (MINFILE 082KNW195) occurrence.
In 1987, grab and chip samples yielded from 3.08 to 26.73 grams per tonne gold (Northern Miner, August 10, 1987).
In 1987, combined (proven and probable) reserves were reported at 181,437 tonnes grading 10.29 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Granges Exploration Ltd. [1987-01-01]: Review of Major Projects). Exploration work on the combined Dorothy, Dorothy North and East zone has blocked out approximately 3,110,000 grams of gold. Preliminary metallurgical test work has indicated a greater than 90 per cent recovery rate for the gold (Northern Miner, November 30, 1987).
In 1988, a combined possible and probable reserve of 170,000 tonnes, from two zones, averaging 9.20 grams per tonne gold over a thickness of 1.5 to 3.0 metres and a cut-off grade of 3.00 grams per tonne gold was reported (Property File - Deveaux, P. [1988-02-04]: Cordilleran - Snapshot Reviews - Windflower)
During 1903 through 1989, intermittent production totalled 4628 tonnes yielding 128.23 kilograms of silver, 583.88 kilograms of gold, 31 kilograms of zinc, 31 kilograms of lead and 190,800 kilograms of silica.
The Camborne group of 8 claims (Lots, 5653, 5655-5661), owned from 1901 or earlier by A. McKay and J.B. McKenzie, was Crown-granted in 1902. These claims are surrounded on three sides the Goldfinch claim (Lot 5644). The North-western Mining Company, Limited optioned the Camborne group in 1901 and purchased the Goldfinch claim in 1902; this claim was Crown-granted to the company in 1903. A hydro plant, 1460-metre tramline and 10-stamp mill were installed on Menhinick Creek in 1902 and 1903. The company became insolvent and The Gold Finch Mining Company was formed to continue the operation. The mill operated for a short period in 1903 and 1904, until a forest fire destroyed the tramline. Most of the development work was done on the Goldfinch claim. Ore for the mill came from a glory hole approximately 100 metres southwest of the Independence group boundary, at an elevation of 1029 metres. Two adits were driven on the Goldfinch: an upper (1023 level) and a lower (1003 level); the lower adit totalled 352 metres of drifts and crosscuts. In addition, an adit was reportedly driven 40 metres on the south side of Menhinick Creek. Limited work was reported in 1904 and 1906 by optionee A. Rosenberger and in 1917 by J. Darragh and associates. In late 1933, the property was acquired by Dalhousie Gold Mines, Limited of Victoria but no work was reported.
In 1903, production of 726 tonnes yielded 16.2 kilograms of gold and 4.98 kilograms of silver and, in 1904, an additional 590 tonnes yielded 4.67 kilograms of gold and 633 grams of silver.
The Independence group of five claims (Lots 12479-12483) was held from approximately 1903. Most of the work was done on the Dorothy claim (Lot 12481) which adjoins the Goldfinch claim on the northwest. The workings included trenches and two adits of 6 metres and 44 metres in length. The property was owned in 1924 by Owen Rowland and Crown -grants were issued to him in 1931 and 1933. In 1939, the property was under option to W.T. Baker, of Trout Lake; work included trenching and 10 metres of crosscutting.
Claims lying on Scott Creek and adjoining the Independence group on the northwest include the Lost Cup (MINFILE 082KNW195), Phyllis and Nina (Lots 1870, 3755 and 4239). Showings on this ground were discovered and staked in 1898. Some work was reported by Rossland interests in 1898 and 1899. The Lost Cup occurrence was Crown -granted in 1905 to Baird, Crane, McClymont et al.
Eaton Mining & Exploration Ltd. acquired the Goldfinch (Camborne) Crown- grants in July 1971 and staked the Vik and Doe claims (40 units) over the Crown-grants and adjacent ground in 1979. The Independence group was held in 1979 by R.W. Bacon, of Kamloops. Work in 1980 included geological mapping, a geochemical soil survey (166 samples) and rehabilitation of the adits; mineralized quartz from the upper adit was shipped to Trail. A bulk sample from an open cut, totalling 31 tonnes, was shipped to Trail and yielded 0.373 kilograms of silver, 0.156 kilograms of gold and 31 kilograms of lead and zinc. The following year, a further 281 tonnes was mined yielding 4.01 kilograms of silver, 3.05 kilograms of gold and 190,800 kilograms of silica.
In July 1982, the company name was changed to Synco Development Corp. Trenching and sampling were reported in 1983. In October 1983, Windflower Mining Ltd. optioned the five Crown-grants and three reverted Crown-grants that made up the Independence and Lost Cup groups from Academy Enterprises Ltd. and R.K. Evans, of Fanny Bay. The company staked the Academy 1-4 claims (68 units) over adjacent ground to the west and north. Work in 1984 included magnetometer and electromagnetic surveys over 12 kilometres. In November 1984, Windflower Mining optioned the Goldfinch property from Synco Development. In 1985, Granges Exploration Ltd. optioned a 60 per cent working interest in the combined properties from Windflower; work that year included a geochemical survey, 603 metres of diamond drilling in seven holes and magnetometer (9.0 kilometres) and electromagnetic (16.6 kilometres) surveys. Drilling totalled 33,750 metres in 37 holes in 1986, 9588 metres in 76 holes in 1987 and 7429 metres in 63 holes in 1988. In 1989, additional work on the Dorothy zone led to further production of 3000 tonnes yielding 118.2 kilograms of silver and 29.8 kilograms of gold.
In 1999, a geological mapping program was conducted by Cascadia International and MagAlloy Corp. of America Inc. on behalf of 581606 B.C. Ltd. on the MAG group of claims. This work was focused on the magnesium (magnesite) potential associated with a hydrothermal (carbonate) alteration zone, referred to as the Sable “dike”.
In 2009, Cayenne Gold Mines Ltd. Completed two diamond drill holes, totalling 121.0 metres, on the main Dorothy zone. In 2014, Happy Creek Minerals Ltd. completed a program of prospecting and sampling on the area. In 2016 and 2017, Explorex Resources Inc. completed programs of prospecting and rock and soil sampling on the area as the Silver Dollar property. In 2019, Mariner Resources Corp. completed a 624 line-kilometre airborne magnetic and radiometric survey on the area as the Silver Dollar property.