The Garnet property is located on Aspen Creek, a tributary of Sheep Creek, 8 kilometres southeast of Salmo. The north end of the No. 1 orebody outcropped at an elevation of 1219 metres, west of Aspen Creek and almost a 1.6 kilometres north of Sheep Creek.
The heavily oxidized outcrop was staked in 1907 by P.F. Horton, H.M. Billings, J.A. Benson, and S.N. Ross. The property and one of the claims was called the H.B. The Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada (Limited) optioned the claims in 1911. The No. 2 level crosscut was driven during the winter but results were disappointing and the option was dropped in 1912. W.R. Salisbury & associates, of Salmo, in 1913 leased the area containing the workings and small amounts of carbonate ore were mined until the lease expired in August 1915. During this period the owners, Horton & Billings, drove the Zincton crosscut to explore the adjacent Zincton claim. On the expiry of the above lease the entire property was optioned to a Spokane syndicate operating under the name Hudson Bay Zinc Company. The low level No. 7 crosscut (3,100 level) was started in 1915 and reached a length of 579 metres on completion in 1916. Diamond drilling (473 metres) from the crosscut failed to find ore and the option was given up in 1917. Crown-grants were issued to P.F. Horton and Agnes Billings on the Garnet (Lot 10809) and Zincton (Lot 10810) claims in 1919 and on the H.B. (Lot 12672) and 10 other claims and fractions (Lots 12668-12671 and 12673-12678) in 1921. The Victoria Syndicate, Limited, optioned the property in 1925 and began driving the No. 4 level (3,500 level) crosscut. This was completed at a length of 335 metres and from it drifting north and south in the orebody continued into 1926. The option was subsequently given up and P.F. Horton one of the owners, carried out some work on the property in 1927. Exploration work to that date was all done in the heavily oxidized zone at the north and on No. 1 orebody where the flat-plunging ore was exposed on surface. Oxidation here extended to the full depth of the ore zone, about 91 metres below surface.
The Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company returned in 1927 to purchase the 18 Crown-granted claims and fractions, but the property remained idle until 1948. Starting about 1946, the company began geological investigations that led to an intensive diamond drilling program beginning in 1948. Large bodies of 9, low-grade disseminated sulphides plunging gently south from the oxidized orebody were indicated by this drilling. In June, 1949 an underground program began to investigate the drill results. The No. 4 level was rehabilitated and from the face the adit was extended south for nearly 457 metres. A parallel drive was subsequently made about 70 metres to the west and connected to the main drive by 3 crosscuts at 61 metre intervals. Diamond drilling from these two drives and from exploration raises in 1950 partly delimited two orebodies - the No. I and No. 2 - and work until 1953 was aimed at developing these orebodies for production. In 1951 construction of a 1,000 ton per day concentrator began and a new adit level (No. 8) was driven 823 metres north from the Sheep Creek valley millsite to the ore zone. The concentrator was completed early in 1953 but due to low lead and zinc prices, was not put into operation. All work ceased on March 31 and was not resumed until April 1955; milling began in May.
The Garnet zone outcrops on the Garnet and Legal Tender claims between elevations of 1067 and 1158 metres on the Sheep Creek slope about 0.5 kilometre north of the concentrator. The Legal Tender claim (Lot 10823) was staked on this showing in about 1899. In 1912 the claim was Crown-granted to George Klavano. Development work at that time apparently consisted of a few short adits. In 1926 the claim was part of the Black Jack group of 4 claims. This group was optioned by P.F. Horton & associates in 1926 and late in the year exploration work was done in about a dozen trenches crosscutting the zone. The Legal Tender was part of the group sold to Cominco in 1927; the Black Jack claims, lying to the west of the Legal Tender, were apparently abandoned. Diamond drilling by the company in 1948-49 in more than 30 holes delimited a more or less continuous mineralized zone 15 metres wide lying 46 to 61 metres west of the Garnet fault. Mining of the Garnet zone began in 1965 as an open pit operation and was later incorporated with the underground operation. The mine and mill closed on November 1, 1966. The company name was changed in 1966 to Cominco Ltd. Plans to re-open the mine were announced late in 1972. The mill and under ground workings were rehabilitated and production resumed in February 1973. Mining and milling operations continued until August 1978 when the mine closed. Measured and indicated reserves, as of December 31, 1978, were reported at 409000 tons, at 0.1 per cent lead and 4.1 per cent zinc (Canadian Pacific Limited, Form 10-K, December 31, 1978).
David Minerals Ltd. by an agreement dated May 8, 1981 purchased the mine, mill and adjacent properties from Cominco Ltd. for $750,000; a 20 acre parcel was subsequently sold to Goldbelt Mines Inc. for a millsite. Renovation of the H.B. mill was carried out to prepare a flotation circuit to custom mill gold-bearing sulphide ores, and a second circuit to treat molybdenite-gold ore from the company's Rossland properties (82 F/4, Mo 2 and 3). The gold circuit was put into operation on ore from the Gold Belt property in December 1981.
The Garnet zone includes showings previously reported as Blackjack and Legal Tender. They are all part of a continuous mineralized horizon associated within the HB mine (082FSW004) and contributed to that mine's production.
The HB orebodies are currently thought to be Kootenay Arc-type carbonate hosted sedimentary exhalative (sedex) deposits. The orebodies are located within dolomitized limestone of the Lower Cambrian Laib Formation, Reeves Member (correlative with limestone of the Badshot Formation). The east side of the Laib Formation is in contact with argillites of the Lower to Middle Ordovician Active Formation, on a fault contact, with the Active rocks overthrust from the east over the Reeves carbonates.
Fine-grained sphalerite, pyrite, and minor galena occur as scattered lenses and as disseminated grains in dolomite. The main Garnet zone ores are about 15 metres wide and outcrop between 1050 and 1160 metres elevation, about 50 metres west of the Garnet fault.