The Protection (Goodenough) deposit is located at 1219 metres elevation on the north side of Ymir Creek, approximately 4.8 kilometres northeast of Ymir and just to the southwest of the Ymir (MINFILE 082FSW074) deposit.
The deposit is hosted by Lower Jurassic Ymir Group schist, argillite and quartzite. Augite basalt flows and flow breccias of the Lower Jurassic Elise Formation (Unit Je1) (Rossland Group) occur just to the west and the contact with the Middle Jurassic Nelson Batholith is to the east. Pyrite is disseminated in quartz veins and throughout the sedimentary rock. Mineralization is confined to a shear zone. The shear crosscuts the sedimentary stratigraphy, which strikes 035 degrees with a 70 degree northwest dip.
Mineralization occurs in a system of two quartz-filled fissure veins striking 015 to 026 degrees and 028 degrees, respectively, within argillites and quartzites. The veins converge to the southwest and are approximately 30 metres apart in the showing area. The veins are highly variable in width but average 1 to 2 metres in length and may be a single well-defined vein or several veinlets within a distinctive, crushed shear zone. Mineralization occurs as distinct oreshoots apparently related to the intersection of Jurassic granitic dikes with the veins. The gangue is predominantly quartz with some calcite stringers, brecciated wallrocks and a few grains of brown tourmaline and epidote. Auriferous pyrite is the main economic sulphide and is associated with galena and sphalerite and minor free gold. Pyromorphite, cerussite and cadmium are reported to occur with the sulphides in minor amounts. With depth the vein appears to carry more chalcopyrite and less gold. The veins are associated with parallel and crosscutting faults in addition to lamprophyre, felsite, and granitic dikes all related to the Nelson Intrusions.
The Protection occurrence may be the western extension of the Ymir vein; the latter is much wider although other characteristics are similar. These veins have a similar trend to the Ymir veins but are higher grade. The Tamarac (MINFILE 082FSW072), Protection, Ymir (MINFILE 082FSW074) and Good Hope (MINFILE 082FSW075) occurrences all appear to be located along the same shear-related vein system, although the same vein or shear may not be continuous through all properties.
In 1981, sampling yielded up to 5.1 grams per tonne gold, 33.5 grams per tonne silver, 2.20 per cent lead and 2.85 per cent zinc over 30 centimetres from a quartz-sulphide vein exposed in a roadcut above the Coat’s adit (Property File - Nu-Dawn Resources Inc. [1981-07-31]: Report on YMIR-Protection Property, Nelson Mining Division).
Underground sampling, performed at this time, yielded: 3.0 grams per tonne gold, 99.2 grams per tonne silver, 2.20 per cent lead and 2.09 per cent zinc over 1.5 metres of mineralized quartz vein exposed at the no. 5 adit portal; 1.3 grams per tonne gold, 13.0 grams per tonne silver, 0.46 per cent lead and 0.54 per cent zinc over 1.65 metres of a mineralized shear exposed on the no. 4 level; 2.5 grams per tonne gold, 55.7 grams per tonne silver, 0.81 per cent lead and 2.29 per cent zinc across 1.2 metres, also from the no. 4 level; 0.3 gram per tonne gold, 40.0 grams per tonne silver, 0.49 per cent lead and 4.43 per cent zinc over 1.8 metres from the no. 3 level and 0.8 gram per tonne gold, 111.5 grams per tonne silver, 4.48 per cent lead and 0.15 per cent zinc over 7.5 metres from workings above the no. 1 level (Property File - Nu-Dawn Resources Inc. [1981-07-31]: Report on YMIR-Protection Property, Nelson Mining Division).
Production between 1898 and 1970 totalled 14 788 tonnes grading 22 grams per tonne gold, 170 grams per tonne silver, 4.5 per cent lead and 4.6 per cent zinc.
The Goodenough fractional claim was staked in June 1898 by Alex Gayette. Development work in a shaft sinking to a depth of approximately 20 metres was carried out in 1899 under the name Ymir Gold Mining Company. There is no record of this company as a Canadian incorporation. By 1917, the Goodenough Fr. (Lot 13025) and Surprise claims were owned by O.A. Lovell and O. Poulin. In the early 1920s, owners Lovell, McDonald and associates began development work on the property, which then consisted of the Goodenough, Demaricott and Little Nell claims. An adit was driven approximately 41 metres. Early in 1924, P.J. O'Brien of Kettle Falls, Washington, optioned the property and development work continued. The Porcupine Goldfields Development & Finance Company, Limited, optioned the property in 1925 and began development work in a new adit. The option was given up near the end of 1926. Mr. O.D. Firth, who was manager for the above company, optioned the property and incorporated Goodenough Mines, Limited in July 1927. A third adit was begun during that year.
Enterprise Consolidated Mining Company, Limited, optioned the Goodenough and adjacent Ymir (82 F/6, Au 9) properties early in 1928. Several hundred metres of development work was done in the lower adit before the option was given up. The owners—Jackson, McDonald and associates—then resumed development work in the upper levels. Small amounts of ore were shipped to Trail; the ore commanded a very favourable smelting rate due to the high silica content. A new surface discovery in 1930 was explored by a new (No. 4) adit. During 1928 through 1932, the owners shipped approximately 8164 tonnes of ore.
J.F. Coats, of Vancouver, acquired the property near the end of 1932 and incorporated a private company Ymir Gold Mines, Limited. The adjoining Ymir property was optioned. Some development work was reported in 1933-34. Ymir Consolidated Gold Mines, Limited, was incorporated in September 1934 to acquire and operate the Ymir and Goodenough properties. A 125-ton-per-day mill was installed at the Ymir property in 1925 and operated from July to November, milling ore from both properties; the Goodenough ore was trucked to the mill. Intermittent milling operations continued until August 1939 and development work continued until April 1940. The workings at that time totalled approximately 1829 metres of drifts, crosscuts and raises on six levels over a vertical distance of 213 metres. Lessees worked the property until 1943, mining small ore remnants. By 1944, the Goodenough was owned by L.S. Davidson, of Vancouver. Lessees worked the property during the year. Production of some 2630 tonnes during 1944 through 1953 is listed under the name Protection.
Americonda Mines Limited, incorporated October 1956, acquired options on the Goodenough and Ymir properties and a small amount of development work was carried out during1957 through 1959. Hyrock Goodenough Mines Ltd., incorporated August 1960, carried out limited exploration work and shipped 11 tons of ore; work was suspended in October 1960. In 1964, the Goodenough Fr. Crown-grant and four recorded claims were owned by A.L. Weber, of Flushing, N.Y. Some rehabilitation work was reported. In 1970, Silver Dawn Mines Ltd. prospected the workings for scheelite and shipped a small amount of ore. Lessees mined and shipped a small amount of ore in 1973.
In 1981, Nu-Dawn Resources examined and sampled the area. In 1984, C.T. Exploranda and Arizako Mines completed programs of soil and rock sampling on the area.