The Hinckley property is situated on Shea Creek in the Slocan Mining Division. The underground workings are on Crown grant Lot 1720 at 1220 metres elevation above sea level. See also Silvana (082FNW050).
In 1898 the property, owned by the Hinckley-Black Colt Mining Company, was developed by R.A. Grimes in 1923, and by the Standard Silver-Lead Mining Company in 1924 and 1925. In 1936 and 1937 it was worked under lease and a small amount of ore produced. Some additional work was done in 1941 but remained dormant until 1954.
Workings consist of 5 adits and a shaft. A fifth adit on the Bear Paw Mineral Claim passes into the Hinckley from the north. Three short adits, one of which is caved, are located at an elevation of nearly 1160 metres, at the edge of the creek. A short access road was made in 1954 to one of these adits, located on the east side of the stream, and between 1954 and 1957 mining operations were carried on intermittently by the owners, and the adit extended. About 76 metres northeast of this adit a series of small pits exposes an irregular mineralized fracture, and an adit a little lower in elevation explores what is presumably the same zone. The shaft is at an elevation of 1128 metres near the north boundary of the claim and is inaccessible. A small caved adit is located close to the collar of the shaft. The adit from the Bear Paw claim is located 46 metres lower and 107 metres to the northeast, and has a length of 79 metres. This adit was driven in argillites for 55 metres where it encountered a 24 metre porphyry sill. A crosscut 24 metres to the west encountered a fissure zone, perhaps the same as that on which the shaft was sunk, which was drifted on for 60 metres. In the property the zone is gougy, but in the argillite it is a quartz vein about 15 centimetres wide.
Regionally, the area lies on the western margin of the Kootenay Arc, in allochthonous rocks of the Quesnel Terrane. In the vicinity of the occurrence, the Quesnel Terrane is dominated by very fine grained clastic sedimentary rocks of the Upper Triassic Slocan Group that include locally weakly metamorphosed argillite, quartzite, limestone and some tuffaceous rocks. These sedimentary rocks are intruded by dikes, sills and stocks of varied composition and origin. Permian and/or Triassic Kaslo Group metamorphosed volcanic rocks occur to the north of the Slocan Group rocks. Middle Jurassic Nelson intrusions are immediately south of the Slocan Group and are inferred to be the source of granitic to pegmatitic sills and dikes found in the area. The Nelson intrusions comprise at least six texturally and compositionally distinct phases ranging from diorite to lamprophyre. The most dominant phase is a medium to coarse grained potassium feldspar porphyritic granite (Paper 1989-5).
The property is underlain by quartzite and argillaceous quartzite of the Slocan Group. A prominent sill or dike of porphyritic quartz diorite about 45 metres wide is exposed along Shea Creek. The sedimentary rocks have been folded, fractured, faulted and regionally metamorphosed to greenschist facies. On the Hinckley property, the strata generally strike east and dip steeply south.
Mineralization occurs in a vein up to 1 metre thick. The vein follows a near vertical, northeast-trending fissure which is parallel to a joint set within the quartzite. The fissure vein has been explored with at least six short adits and a vertical shaft. It consists of lenses of massive, coarse grained, commonly cubic pyrite containing irregular to wispy bands of coarse-grained sphalerite, fine to coarse grained, sheared galena, and a discontinuous band of siderite at the footwall. Quartz forms irregular lenses and bands in the vein.
Moskogee Minerals Inc. conducted diamond drilling in 1985 and underground development in 1988.
The Silvana mine closed indefinitely in April, 1993. In October, 1994, Amcorp Industries Ltd. signed an agreement to buy the Silvana mine and mill at Sandon from Treminco Resources Ltd. A review of the Silvana (082FNW050) and Hinckley mines' ore reserves by Amcorp indicated that about 54,400 tonnes of ore grading 290 grams per tonne silver, 3.4 per cent lead and 4.7 per cent zinc, remain in the developed areas of the mines with potential to develop additional reserves. Amcorp expected to resume production in early 1995 (Information Circular 1995-1, page 8). Amcorp changed their name in May 1996 to Molycor Gold Corporation, part of the Verdstone Group of companies.
Past production from the Hinckley mine, between 1936 and 1988, yielded 265,512 grams of silver, 113,309 kilograms of zinc, 54,840 kilograms of lead, 59 kilograms of cadmium and 481 grams of gold from 106 tonnes mined.
During the end of 1997, underground access to the Hinckley and Silvana lodes was re-established. Mining started on the Hinckley lode and the Silvana mill was re-commissioned. In 1997, Treminco Resources extracted and processed 1905 tonnes, averaging 285 grams per tonne silver, 5.29 per cent zinc and 5.15 per cent lead from the eastern extension of the Hinckley lode (GCNL #10, 1998). In 1998, Treminco signed a Letter of Intent with Regeena Resources Inc. to purchase the Silvana and Hinckley operations. Treminco changed their name to Elkhorn Gold Mining Corporation in February 1999. In June 1999, Klondike Gold Corp. plans to acquire the Silvana and Hinckley mines. Selective mining on the 4625 level, surface drilling and trenching are planned in July 1999.
During 2005 through 2014, Klondike Silver Corp. examined the area as apart of their Slocan Silver Camp property.