This Whitefish occurrence is located on a northwestern ridge of Mount Evans at an elevation of approximately 1700 metres, southeast of the junction of Fiddler and Machean creeks.
The area is underlain by quartzite and siltstone of the mid-Proterozoic (middle) Aldridge Formation (Purcell Supergroup), intruded by meta- gabbro or meta- diorite of the Proterozoic Moyie Intrusions. Three or more of these sills, from 60 to 180 metres thick, strike in a northwest direction through the area for an aggregate length of 3.5 kilometres.
Locally, a chlorite-sericite-epidote altered diorite and/or gabbro, in association with a foliated lamprophyre dike, hosts a 1.5 to 3.0-metre wide, southeast trending, vertical shear zone with quartz-carbonate veins. Mineralization consists of pyrite and chalcopyrite with minor galena, sphalerite and tetrahedrite as disseminations to rich streaks in vein material. Malachite and azurite occur as fracture coatings, whereas the diorite/gabbro hosts minor disseminated chalcopyrite. The zone has been traced over a strike length of 150 metres and a to vertical extent of 100 metres.
In 1972, three grab samples (GB1927, GB1932 and GB 1937) assayed from 0.96 to 7.84 per cent copper and 1.4 to 6.8 grams per tonne silver; a dump sample (DP1928) assayed 2.38 per cent copper and 6.8 grams per tonne silver and two channel samples (CH1930 and CH1931) assayed 1.80 and 2.08 per cent copper with 2.7 and 2.1 grams per tonne silver over widths of 0.6 to 1.5 metres (Assessment Report 4235).
In 1984, sampling of former workings yielded: 197.0 grams per tonne silver, 2.82 per cent copper, 1.76 per cent lead and 0.72 per cent zinc over 0.5 metre from an open-cut (Sample W-008); 3.59 per cent copper and 3.4 grams per tonne silver in a 1.0-metre sample (W-001) from the main adit and 2.66 per cent copper and 8.6 grams per tonne silver in a 1.5-metre sample (W-003) from the winze (Assessment Report 12825).
In 1989, a grab sample (7211) assayed 3.44 per cent copper and 5.4 grams per tonne silver (Assessment Report 19149).
Another mineralized zone, located to the southeast and referred to as the No.1 showing, consists of a diorite and quartz-chlorite schist hosting a 0.6 to 0.9-metre wide, quartz-veined shear zone. The zone trends 165 degrees and dips 80 degrees west. The quartz veins vary in width from 2.5 to 10 centimetres and are exposed over approximately 21 metres. Malachite staining is reported.
In 1920, shipped ore was reported to run "6 per cent copper and 6 ounces silver", presumably per ton, yielding 205 grams per tonne silver (Annual Report 1920).
The only historical report on the Whitefish group (three claims) was in 1920, when the workings consisted of 51 metres of drifting in an adit and a 6-metre winze.
The JAG 1-58 claims were staked in March 1972 by A. Hopkins, of Toronto. Mount Evans Copper Corp. Inc., incorporated in Ontario in May 1972, acquired 18 of the Jag claims. During this time a program of rock and soil sampling, geological mapping and trenching was completed on the claims. The following year, a program of rock, silt and soil sampling and a 0.2 line-kilometre induced polarization survey were completed. In 1984 and 1985, Grom Resources completed programs of geochemical sampling, geological mapping and a 9.5 line-kilometre ground electromagnetic survey on the area as the Goodhope and Whitefish claim groups. In 1989, Yellow Band Resources completed a program of geological mapping and a 6.0 line-kilometre induced polarization survey on the area as the Evans 1 and Terra 3 claims.