The Polly Vent (Dan Howe - Lower adit) occurrence is located on a north facing slope overlooking St. Mary Lake at an elevation of approximately 1700 metres. The upper adit or pit is located near the ridge top, approximately 700 metres to the southwest.
The area is underlain by quartzite, wacke, argillite and siltstone of the mid-Proterozoic (middle) Aldridge Formation (Purcell Supergroup), intruded by meta-gabbro or meta-diorite of the Proterozoic Moyie Intrusions.
The original Dan Howe occurrence, now called the Polly Vent, is described as a lenticular quartz vein in sheared argillaceous quartzites of the mid-Proterozoic (Helikian) Aldridge Formation (Purcell Supergroup) beneath a diorite sill of the Proterozoic Moyie Intrusions. Mineralization is reported to consist of pyrite, pyrrhotite and galena with minor chalcopyrite, bornite and possible tetrahedrite.
In 1987, a grab sample (KDR-87-51) from a dump near the lower adit of the Dan Howe occurrence assayed 54.8 grams per tonne silver, 4.48 per cent lead, 0.36 per cent zinc and 0.12 per cent copper (Assessment Report 16971).
Another zone of mineralization, located approximately 1.2 kilometres to the northwest and at an elevation of 1050 metres, consists of a quartz vein hosting chalcopyrite. In 1992, a sample (09298) assayed 0.9 per cent copper (Sudo, H. (1992-01-01): 1992 Sample Locations and Clair Mapping, Horn Property).
In 1999, diamond drilling approximately 1.6 kilometres to the southeast, at an elevation of 1790 metres on the south side of the ridge, intersected a sulphide-rich fragmental complex 230 metres thick. The complex consists of fragmental rock units up to 50 metres thick interbedded with thinly bedded pyrrhotiferous argillite. Massive sulphides, mainly pyrrhotite and arsenopyrite, form the matrix of the fragmental units. Bedding-parallel bands of disseminated sphalerite up to 30 centimetres thick occur within the interbedded argillite units.
The area has been historically explored since the 1800’s or early 1900’s, including the creation of at least two adits or pits. In 1987, Esso Resources completed a program of rock and silt sampling, geological mapping and a 3.0 line-kilometre electromagnetic survey on the area as the Mac 1-10 claims. In 1991 and 1992, Minnova, in conjunction with Kokanee Explorations, completed a 12.0 line-kilometre electromagnetic survey and an unknown amount of diamond drilling on the area as the Horn claims. The following year, Metall Mining Corporation, in conjunction with Consolidated Ram Rod Gold, completed a 10.0 line-kilometre electromagnetic survey on the area. In 1997, Quest International Resource completed a soil sampling program on the area to the south. In 1998, Black Bull Resources completed a program of geological mapping on the area.
In 1999, Chapleau Resources Ltd. completed three diamond drill -holes (P99-6, 7, 8), totalling 1316.1 metres, on the occurrence. In 2000 and 2001, Super Group Holdings Ltd. directed the exploration and Chapleau Resources Ltd. performed the work on the property, which included an 18-hole diamond drilling program, totalling 3994.0 metres.