The Midway occurrence is located on a slope immediately west of the Moyie River, approximately 4 kilometres southwest of Moyie and 32 kilometres southwest of Cranbrook.
The area is underlain by quartzites and argillaceous quartzites of the Precambrian Aldridge Formation. Bedding strikes northwest and dips flatly to the northeast.
At the Midway occurrence, highly sheared and shattered quartz veins trending north to northwest and dipping 30 to 50 degrees northeast are traced on surface over 244 metres. The veins are highly variable in width, from hairline to more than 2 metres. The veins crosscut Helikian Middle Aldridge (Purcell Supergroup) stratigraphy consisting of quartzites, turbidites, and interbedded argillites. The occurrence is located on the west limb of the Moyie Lake anticline near the anticlinal axis. Two adits were driven on the vein: The upper one was driven approximately 412 metres along strike, and the second, located 21 metres lower, was driven approximately 320 metres but lost the vein at approximately 218 metres. Due to the regional anticline, the adits cut through progressively higher stratigraphic levels of the Middle Aldridge Formation as they were developed to the west. Records also indicate diorite sills occurring west of the showing within the Upper Aldridge Formation and at the Creston Formation–Aldridge Formation contact.
The vein carries lead, zinc, and copper sulphides, with associated gold and silver values. Also reported from shipments are 0.9 per cent tin but the actual mineral is unidentified. Associated with the lead is 0.4 per cent antimony.
Mining took place intermittently from 1933 to 1962. Between 1934 and 1956, the upper adit was driven 426.76 metres (1400 feet). The lower adit was completed in the early 1950s and was approximately 228.6 metres (750 feet) long. In 1980, Sea Gold Oil Corporation optioned the property and began a program of reclamation and exploration work. The two adits were cleaned out and retimbered. In total, 75 channel samples were collected and six percussion drill holes were drilled from accessible portions of both levels. The upper adit had caved at 146.3 metres (480 feet), blocking access to the rest of the adit. An attempt was made to mine through and retimber the caved zone, but this was unsuccessful and the effort was abandoned. Two zones of interest were identified in the upper level and follow-up exploration work was recommended.
Between 1933 and 1962, intermittent mining operations produced 85,534 grams of silver, 9082 grams of gold, 2549 kilograms of lead, 1701 kilograms of zinc, and 108 kilograms of copper from 1168 tonnes.
In 1923 iron-stained material containing silver-lead-zinc values was discovered under slide rock near the wagon-road. Five claims were staked and prospecting for the source of the mineralization was by trenching. This location was reported under the name "Railway Mine Group".
The property was owned by Finlay Leask from about 1929 when a short adit was driven. B.C. Cariboo Gold Fields Limited optioned 5 claims from Mr. Leask in 1933 and by mid 1935 when work ceased the adit had been extended to 401 metres.
In January 1937 the property was leased to G. Todd and associates under the name Moyie Gold Mines Limited; there is no record of this as a Canadian incorporation. Sporadic work and ore shipments continued until September of that same year when the lease was abandoned. Small ore shipments were reported by owner Leask in 1938 and lessee G. Whitehead in 1939. Geological mapping of the underground workings was done in 1946 by St. Eugene Mining Corporation Limited.
Bell-Lucan Gold Mines, Limited was incorporated in 1949 to acquire an option on the property but there is no report of work done. Somewhere in the interval between 1935 and 1962 a lower adit, about 21 metres below the upper, was driven 137 metres but details are lacking. Lessee D.F, Scheck shipped a small amount of ore in 1959.
Moyie Mines Ltd. was incorporated in October 1962 to acquire the property. Work included rehabilitation of the adits and driving two raises to the upper adit. In 1963 the option was transferred to Calix Gold Mines Ltd. Work commenced in November and consisted of a new washhouse, compressor building, and rehabilitation of the surface area. Mine work consisted of a new entrance to the lower portal to straighten the drift. Work resumed in 1965 with the majority of it dedicated to slashing and widening portions of the drift and extending it 183 metres for a total length of 320 metres. At 218 metres a narrow-mineralized vein was followed but was lost when the drift was driven into the hanging wall due to poor ground conditions. Several short drill holes were drilled from the side of the drift but failed to intersect it. Further exploration was suspended. In 1966 work was confined to a small amount of surface stripping on the mountainside above the adits. The company name was changed in 1966 to Calix Mines Ltd.
In 1969, Anmar Mining Ltd. optioned the 11 claim Midway group (George Cross Newsletter). The company apparently failed to raise the capital for a proposed trenching and drilling program or became in default of the agreement.
In 1974 the property was held as the Midway 1-5, Jan, Railway, Gordon and Kelly claims by M.L. Leask and J. Caldwell. Dorvan Explorations Ltd. carried out magnetometer, electromagnetic and geochemical soil surveys over the Midway 1-3 and Jan claims. Six lines 122 metres apart ran northerly at 90 degrees to the baseline with 30.5 metre sample intervals. Anomalous magnetometer values were generated on all but line 5. results included distinct correlation between anomalous arsenic values and magnetometer lows. Results of the 1974 program were further discussed in relation to 2016 mapping (Assessments 36920).
In 1977, R.R. Blussom optioned the property from owners Leask and Caldwell and in 1979 were re-optioned to Sea Gold Oil Corp.; the company subsequently exercised the option, acquiring 100 per cent interest in the property. The claims were overstaked as the Gold 1 claim (12 units).
In 1980, conducted an extensive rehabilitation program, which included underground development, 25.6 metres of underground percussion drilling in 6 holes, and channel sampling. In 1983 diamond drilling was done in 2 holes, which proved the two adits to be on the same vein structure.
In the 1990s, Lloyd Morgan of Cranbrook reportedly rehabilitated a portion of the Midway Mine, either the upper or lower portal (private communication, D. Pighin, P.Geo).
In 2016, geological mapping along with the collection of 45 rock samples was completed, behalf of owners John Parry and Ulla Kapp. The highest gold value from 2016 was 3.7 grams per tonne gold from sample 044204 taken at station MW-35 (Assessment Report 36920). Samples from stations MW-43 and MW-44 returned (respectively) 1.9 grams per tonne gold and 0.23 per cent arsenic, and 2.3 grams per tonne gold, and 0.74 per cent arsenic (Assessment Report 36920).