British Columbia Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas and Responsible for Housing
News | The Premier Online | Ministries & Organizations | Job Opportunities | Main Index

MINFILE Home page  ARIS Home page  MINFILE Search page  Property File Search
Help Help
File Created: 24-Jul-1985 by BC Geological Survey (BCGS)
Last Edit:  12-Nov-2014 by Laura deGroot (LDG)

Summary Help Help

NMI 082F15 Ag1
Name SILVER HOARD (L.10712), DELLIE (L.241), LITTLE MAY Mining Division Slocan
BCGS Map 082F076
Status Past Producer NTS Map 082F10W
Latitude 049º 44' 54'' UTM 11 (NAD 83)
Longitude 116º 57' 04'' Northing 5510651
Easting 503522
Commodities Silver, Lead, Zinc, Fluorite, Gold Deposit Types J01 : Polymetallic manto Ag-Pb-Zn
I05 : Polymetallic veins Ag-Pb-Zn+/-Au
Tectonic Belt Omineca Terrane Kootenay
Capsule Geology

This group of claims is located on Cedar Creek at an elevation of about 1300 metres. The main adit is on the Dellis claim to the south of the creek and may be reached by about 11 kilometres of road from Ainsworth.

The Dellie claim was Crown granted to S.S. Bailey in 1893, however, small scale mining operations were being carried out at this location as early as 1889. The operation continued intermittently until 1896 when it was closed down. During 1901-02 the Little May claim was being worked and about 21 metres of shaft and 67 metres drift was completed.

The Silver Hoard Mining Co. of Spokane took over the mine in 1911 and operated it through 1917. Leasers then took over the property and worked it through 1927. By 1923 the company had acquired 5 Crown granted claims, the Silver Hoard Fr., Dellie Fr., Dellie, Nellie Fr. and Little Nay. The ore zone had been developed by a 61 metre inclined shaft and about 610 metres of workings. Apparently the Consolidated Mining and Smelting Co. Ltd. acquired ownership of the property in 1925 and held it through 1949 although there is no record of any work having been done by the company.

From 1949 to 1951 the property apparently changed hands three times, being owned successively by H. Giegerich, Now Jason Mines Ltd., Toronto, and Silver Hoard Mines Ltd., of Toronto. Leasers worked the property during this period. Silver Hoard Vines Ltd. did some diamond drilling and surface exploration on the property in 1952, however, no further activity has been reported.

The orebodies in the Dellie mine are associated with shear zones at or near the contact of folded limestone and argillite of the Mississippian to Lower Permian Milford Group. Silver is found in the replacement ore which occurs in the limestone. Silver also occurs as wires in cavities in the limestone. The ore is a mixture of coarse galena and sphalerite with minor amounts of pyrite and chalcopyrite. The gangue consists of green fluorite, calcite, siderite and quartz.

A total of 3070 tonnes of ore was mined in 23 years from 1889 to 1973. From this, 4,039,438 grams of silver, 31 grams of gold, 83,481 kilograms of lead and 37,873 kilograms of zinc were recovered.

EMPR AR 1895-680, 1896-90, 1901-1029, 1902-152, 1911-131,290,
1912-147, 1913-420, 1914-285,509, 1915-445, 1916-195, 1917-155,
448, 1921-131, 1922-189,194, 1923-208, 1924-188, 1925-231,239,
1926-269, 1927-282, 1948-139, 1949-180, 1950-134, 1952-179
EMPR BULL 53-106
EMPR GEM 1969-333, 1970-460, 1973-72
EMPR OF 1992-16
EMPR PF (Prospectors Report 1997-32 by Robert Bourdon)
GSC MAP 603A, 1742
GSC MEM 117-53
GSC P 44-13
N MINER 29-5 (1952)