Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas and Responsible for Housing
News | The Premier Online | Ministries & Organizations | Job Opportunities | Main Index

MINFILE Home page  ARIS Home page  MINFILE Search page  Property File Search
Help Help
File Created: 24-Jul-1985 by BC Geological Survey (BCGS)
Last Edit:  21-Nov-2012 by George Owsiacki (GO)

Summary Help Help

NMI 104A4 Cu1
Name GEORGE GOLD-COPPER LOWER, COPPER QUEEN NO. 1 (L. 4788), GEORGE GOLD-COPPER, BEAR PASS, GEORGE COPPER, COPPER QUEEN (L. 4781), BA Mining Division Skeena
BCGS Map 104A012
Status Prospect NTS Map 104A04W
Latitude 056º 06' 27'' UTM 09 (NAD 83)
Longitude 129º 45' 42'' Northing 6218306
Easting 452629
Commodities Copper, Silver, Gold, Zinc, Lead Deposit Types G06 : Noranda/Kuroko massive sulphide Cu-Pb-Zn
Tectonic Belt Intermontane Terrane Stikine
Capsule Geology

The George Gold-Copper Lower showing is located about 1 kilometre south of the Stewart highway and about 2 kilometres southeast of the confluence of Rufus Creek with the Bear River.

The area is underlain by Hazelton Group rocks comprising the Lower Jurassic Unuk River Formation. These rocks consist predominantly of subhorizontal to gently dipping andesitic flows and pyroclastics. At the elevation of the adit, a unit of intercalated sulphide-bearing cherty iron formation, argillite and mafic tuff, 7 to 30 metres thick, occurs in the sequence. These rocks are cut by a northwest trending feldspar porphyry dike.

Mineralization comprises a stratabound lens, striking 070 degrees, that can be traced for about 110 metres and is approximately 30 metres thick at the centre. The lens is formed by iron formation, variably rich in pyrite, chalcopyrite, hematite, magnetite, chlorite, epidote and chert, and mafic tuff, and epidote-rich rock. Pyrite and chalcopyrite occur as disseminations, laminae parallel to bedding, crosscutting stringers and occasionally as massive pods. The upper part of the lens grades into a well banded, sulphide poor, magnetite-rich iron formation, to the northeast. Footwall andesitic rocks are epidotized and pyritized and contain a stockwork of pyrite and epidote stringers. The iron formation unit has been traced along strike for nearly 5 kilometres on the south side of the valley and for over 3 kilometres on the north side of the valley. Other showings of interest are the Red Top (104A 021), New York (104A 063), Veteran 2 (104A 124) and Comet (104A 125).

Grab samples taken near the portal have assayed from 0.04 to 1.26 per cent copper, 0.7 to 6.2 grams per tonne silver, 0.1 gram per tonne gold and 0.07 per cent zinc (Assessment Report 6382). Channel samples assayed up to 0.35 per cent copper, 0.05 per cent zinc, 0.02 per cent lead, 1.4 grams per tonne silver and 0.2 gram per tonne gold across 5 metres (Assessment Report 6382). The best intersection from the drilling was a 4.3 metre wide section of semimassive pyrite in hole 103. Samples of this section assayed 0.62 per cent copper, 0.03 per cent zinc, 0.03 per cent lead, 8.2 grams per tonne silver and 0.2 gram per tonne gold across 2.9 metres (Assessment Report 6382). The highest assay from sampling the adit area in 1991 was more than 1 per cent copper and 14 grams per tonne silver (sample 24402, Assessment Report 22172).

The showing is on the Copper Queen No. 1 claim (Lot 4788), which was staked in about 1911. By 1914, W. George and F. Strohn had expanded the property to nine claims and fractions, including the Helena claim (Lot 4783) covering the George Copper Upper showing (104A 129). Several opencuts and at least one adit, 25 metres long, were emplaced before 1919. The property was optioned in 1920 by the Algunican Development Company and again, in 1922-23, by the Granby Mining, Smelting and Power Company; no work was reported. In 1925, the George Gold-Copper Mining Company was incorporated and in 1927, Cominco optioned the property. At least two holes (Nos. 4 and 6) were drilled by Cominco during 1927-29. By 1930, the property comprised 46 claims. The holdings were reduced to 12 claims by the 1960s. In 1971, Keith Copper Mines Ltd. acquired the 28 Mina claims and 23 Crown-granted claims in the immediate area and performed magnetometer surveys; the work did not cover the showing. In 1976, Tournigan Mining Explorations Ltd. purchased the 12 George Gold-Copper claims, including the Copper Queen. Tournigan carried out mapping and drilled two short holes (totalling 51.2 metres) on the showing in 1976 and performed reconnaissance work in the area in 1978. Tournigan Mining conducted sampling on their Bear Pass property, which includes the George Gold-Copper adit, in 1991. In 2002, the Stro 1-3 and the BA 1-4 claims were acquired by E.R. Kruchkowski. In 2005, the claims were jointly owned by Pinnacle Mines Corp. (50%) and Mountain Boy Minerals Ltd. (50%). In August and September of 2006, follow-up prospecting and sampling led to the discovery of the Barbara zone. The summer program consisted of geochemical sampling that included chip sampling across mineralized structures and horizons and grab sampling of outcrop and float; a total of 32 grab, 110 float and 4 chip samples were collected. Mountain Boy Minerals optioned the property in the fall of 2006 and from the fall of 2006 to the fall of 2008, the Barbara zone was drilled. Over the next three years, a total of 13,550 metres of BTW size core was drilled in 93 holes from 55 different drill pads. Some limited trenching and surface sampling was also conducted during this time (internal company data, 2009). In 2010, Great Bear Resources Ltd. conducted an exploration program on the BA property which included a VTEM (helicopter-borne time-domain electromagnetic) survey and a diamond drill program comprising 85 drillholes totalling 14,791 metres.

Bibliography
EMPR AR 1914-155; 1915-72; 1916-86; 1917-67,85; 1918-79; 1919-66; 1920-57; 1921-66; 1922-77; 1923-75; 1924-69; 1925-94; 1926-95; 1927-94,480; 1928-109; 1929-99,508; 1930-442
EMPR BULL 63
EMPR EXPL 1977-E221
EMPR GEM 1972-512
EMPR MAP 8
EMPR OF 1987-22; 1994-14; 1998-9
EMR MIN BULL MR 223, 1989
EMR MP CORPFILE (The Algunican Development Company, Limited; The George Gold-Copper Mining Company, Limited; Keith Copper Mines Ltd.; Tournigan Mining Explorations Ltd.)
GSC MAP 28A; *216A; *217A; 307A; *315A; 9-1957; 1418A
GSC MEM 159, p. 27; 175, p. 115
GSC OF 2582; 2779
GSC SUM RPT 1911, p. 67
ECON GEOL 1928, V.23, No.2, pp. 193-208
GCNL #160, 1976; #161, 1978; #18, 1980
N MINER Apr.2, 1928; Sept. 9, 1976; July 23, 1990
Placer Dome File

COPYRIGHT | DISCLAIMER | PRIVACY | ACCESSIBILITY