The Goat deposit is located about 34 kilometres northeast of Stewart, approximately 5 kilometres north of the Stewart highway (37A) and just south of the Goat Glacier.
The area is underlain by north striking, green andesitic agglomerates and minor intercalated siltstones of the Lower Jurassic Unuk River Formation (Hazelton Group). Just west of the mine area thick, massive volcanic breccias occur. Northwest trending quartz monzonite dikes intrude the volcanics. Several veins occur on the property.
The veins comprise crudely laminated sulphides and gangue. The sulphides include coarse-grained sphalerite, disseminated and massive arsenopyrite and pyrite, tetrahedrite, freibergite and minor galena. Gangue minerals include siderite, quartz and minor epidote and calcite. Galena-lead isotope analyses indicates a Tertiary age for the mineralization (Fieldwork 1990, page 241).
The main veins (F and G veins) lie along irregular northeast-trending fractures in a 100 to 120 metre wide, northwest trending shear zone in the volcanics. Rocks in the shear zone consist of variably schistose volcanics and chloritic and sericitic phyllonite (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1965). The veins average about 15 centimetres in width and transect the shearing and the dikes.
The F vein, traced for more then 120 metres, undulates northeast across the shear zone and dips 35 to 80 degrees northwest. The F vein terminates close to the limits of the shear zone. The G vein, traced for about 75 metres, is a branch vein on the hangingwall side of the F vein.
The Goat vein, comprising a 0.1 to 0.8 metre wide quartz stringer vein, extends over a length of 240 metres between elevations of 1067 and 1189 metres. The quartz dominated vein contains disseminated to semimassive pyrite, galena and sphalerite. A channel sample, collected in 1946 from an adit at 1067 metres elevation above sea level, assayed nil gold, 75.4 grams per tonne silver, 0.07 per cent copper, 2.90 per cent lead, 3.9 per cent zinc and 0.05 per cent cadmium across a width of 0.71 metre (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1946, page 80).
A sample (44439) taken from the millsite in 1991 assayed 3.58 grams per tonne gold, 216.7 grams per tonne silver, 0.153 per cent copper, 0.18 per cent lead and 6.45 per cent zinc (Assessment Report 22040).
Proven and probable reserves in 1979 were 8800 tonnes grading 4782.9 grams per tonne silver and 10.6 grams per tonne gold (Northern Miner - March 1, 1979). Recorded production during the period 1975 and 1979-81 was 1,794,049 grams of silver, 5475 grams of gold, 52,641 kilograms of zinc, 4071 kilograms of lead and 153 kilograms of copper.
The showings were staked in 1960 as the Surprise claim group by Newmont Mining and Granby Mining. The claims were restaked in 1963 as the Goat group. Noradco acquired the claims in 1964 and completed trenching, sampling and three drillholes on the property. In 1965, two adits were driven on the F vein and two raises were driven to the G vein. In 1968, an agreement with Shield Minerals Corp. ensured continued underground development. In 1971, Abitibi acquired the Shield Minerals interest and incorporated Nordore Mining Co. In 1974, Nordore rehabilitated the workings now on the Ken 1-4 and Goat A-H claims. In 1974, the Remus claims were acquired as a millsite; about 1770 tonnes of ore was stockpiled. In 1976, about 295 tonnes of ore was milled from a portable concentrator. Development work on the E vein recommenced in 1979 and "some" material was put through the concentrator. In 1980, underground development continued and the mill operated for several months. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1981 and all work ceased. A geophysical survey was carried out over the property by Bond Gold in 1990. In 1991, Cameco conducted geochemical surveys and sampling on the Ken and Hugh claims. The property was staked by R. Kasum during 2003 and an option deal with Grizzly Diamonds Ltd. was made in late 2004. In 2005, a prospecting and sampling program was completed by Apex Geoscience Ltd. on behalf of Grizzly Diamonds Ltd.