Several deposits of tufa occur on the north bank of the Peace River at Hudson Hope.
One tufa deposit extends for 90 metres upstream from the ferry landing at Hudson Hope. The deposit is at least 9 metres thick at its centre and continues to be deposited from a spring. A sample of randomly collected chips contained 53.38 per cent CaO, 0.97 per cent MgO, 0.82 per cent insolubles, 0.18 per cent R2O3, 0.09 per cent Fe2O3, 0.003 per cent MnO, 0.01 per cent P2O5, 0.08 per cent sulphur, 44.48 per cent ignition loss and 0.22 per cent water (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1957, page 86). Two adjacent lime kilns indicate that the tufa had been processed (burned) sometime in the past.
Another deposit of similar size lies on the river bank 90 metres upstream.