The Red Rose mine is located on the northwest slope of the Rocher Deboule Range, 11 kilometres south of Hazelton.
Siltstone and argillite of the Middle Jurassic to Lower Cretaceous Bowser Lake Group are intruded by the Late Cretaceous Rocher Deboule granodiorite stock of the Bulkley Intrusions. The sediments are hornfelsed by emplacement of the stock and are intruded by northeast trending diorite dikes which are older than the stock. Bedding in the sediments strikes 015 degrees and dips 30 to 50 degrees west. The Chicago Creek fault, striking 010 degrees and dipping 70 degrees west, cuts all rocks and is a normal fault with a dip-slip of 600 to 900 metres.
The Red Rose vein-occupied shear is a small 145 degree striking, 65 degree west dipping fault, mainly hosted in a diorite dike. The vein is 1.2 to 2.8 metres wide, 60 to 120 metres along strike, and at least 335 metres down dip. It is pegmatitic and contains largely quartz with lesser amounts of feldspar, biotite, hornblende, ankerite, tourmaline, apatite, scheelite, ferberite, chalcopyrite, pyrrhotite, molybdenite and uraninite. Extensive lenses of chalcopyrite occur in the hanging wall shear. The biggest concentrations of radioactive material are erratically distributed with molybdenite in the wallrocks.
The vein has been developed and mined above the 1100 level and little is known below this level. Between 1942 and 1954, 103,424 tonnes produced 1,002,839 kilograms of tungsten. It is estimated that there are 13,600 tonnes of ore at a grade of approximately 1.9 per cent WO3 above the 1100 level (Bulletin 43). A 75-centimetre sample taken in 1914 assayed 28.8 grams per tonne gold, 110 grams per tonne silver and 3.9 per cent copper (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1914). A radioactive sample from the mine assayed 0.35 per cent equivalent uranium (Geological Survey of Canada Economic Geology 16).
Probable reserves above the 335 metre level are 13,606 tonnes grading 1.18 per cent tungsten (1.5 per cent WO3). Conversion to tungsten used a factor of 1.2611.
Showings containing encouraging assays in gold, silver and copper were discovered on the south side of the ridge by C. Peterson and C. Ek in 1912. The showings were staked as the Red Rose group, comprising the Red Rose, Yellowhammer, Prosperity, Juniper, and Summit claims. In the fall of 1914 the property was acquired under option by a syndicate headed by T.J. Vaughan-Rhys and some activity continued until the fall of 1916. Development work was done in 4 adits totalling over 800 feet of drifts & crosscuts between elevations of 1570 and 1736 metres, including a lower crosscut which was driven 137 metres feet without reaching the vein.
In about 1923 tungsten-bearing minerals were discovered in a quartz vein on the ridge some 213 metres above the upper- most gold-silver workings. The property was under option in 1923 to W.S. Sargent, of Hazelton, however, no further activity was reported until 1939 when The Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company of Canada, Limited acquired an option to purchase the property from Mrs. B. Sargent of New Hazelton. The property comprised 15 claims, the Tungsten 1-8, Wolframite Fr., Scheelite, Gordie, Dee, Jay, Tat and Eta Frs. (crown-grant lots 3041-3045, 6250-6259) . The company carried out diamond drilling in 1940 and underground development began in the 300 level adit in June 1941. A 25 ton-per-day mill was installed, and connected to the mine by 1.6 kilometres of aerial tramway. Milling operations were carried out from early in 1942 until October 1943 when the mine closed.
Western Uranium Cobalt Mines Limited leased the property from Consolidated Mining & Smelting in 1951; the company name was changed in 1952 to Western Tungsten Copper Mines Limited. Milling began in December 1951 and continued until December 15, 1954 when the mine closed. Mill capacity was increased to 100 tons per day in 1952 and to 140 tons per day in 1953. Development work on the Tungsten showings to December 1954 totalled approximately 3657 metres of crosscuts, drifts, subdrifts and raises on 12 levels and sublevels from 4 adits, the 800 (1725 metres elevation), 600 (1804 metres elevation, 300 (1870 metres elevation) and 200 (1900 metres elevation) , and an inclined shaft from 600 to 1100 levels.
Reserves at time of closing were not known in detail. The 1100 level was not mined. The vein on the 1000 level was about half-mined and on the 800 and 900 levels about three-quarters mined. Above this there was thought to be very little left. There is probably about 4600 tons of ore of average grade above the 1100 level (BCDM Bull 43, p 59, 1960). Grades are estimated at 1.5 per cent tungstic oxide (WO3) and 0.3 per cent copper (Bulletin 43, page 59).
Farwest Tungsten Copper Mines Limited was incorporated in August 1955 to acquire all the assets of Western Tungsten. All the machinery and equipment on the property was subsequently sold.
In 2006, Crucible Resources Ltd. completed an option on the Brunswick and Jupiter from D. Warkentin. Two days were spent on the property in 2006. The first day consisted of a visit to the Slater (#532105) claim, while the second day was spent exploring along Red Rose Creek, including the Red Rose tailings and the Brunswick prospect. This work covered parts of both the Armagosa and Brunswick claims. In these investigations, some historical workings were identified, including the Brunswick adits, and the Red Rose tailings. In total, 4 rock or chip samples were collected. In addition, 1 tailings sample was collected along Red Rose Creek and 1 stream sediment and 3 soil geochemical samples were collected in and around Slater Creek.