Gold was possibly first reported from Louis Creek in Minister of Mines Annual Report 1886..."Louis Creek caused some excitement early in July, but after a few weeks trial the prospect did not continue. The next reference to Louis Creek is in Minister of Mines Annual Report 1912 which states "A slight excitement was caused during the autumn by the discovery of placer gold on Louis creek". In 1914, fifteen placer claims were staked on the creek and extended from a point about 800 metres above the mouth to the canyon, a distance of some 3200 metres. "Quite a little gold was taken out in sluice-boxes by individual miners" (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1913). In 1930, Noble Creek Prospecting and Development Company constructed a flume to a section of the creek about 400 metres above its mouth from the North Thompson River. Two 6-inch monitors were used in preparatory work and a drag-line scraper was also employed to excavate for a bedrock sluice. Numerous difficulties were encountered due to the uneven bedrock surface and after handling about 22,936 cubic metres of gravel, finances were exhausted and work was suspended. The company was reorganized and a new company formed, Paymore Mining Company, who continued working this upper section with heavier machinery but satisfactory results were not achieved due to repeated difficulties in connecting with the uneven nature of the channel (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1930).
The area of Louis Creek appears to be underlain by Paleozoic sedimentary and volcanic rocks of the Harper Ranch Group.
Gold production from 1921 to 1945 was 16,202 grams (Bulletin 28).