The portion of the Fraser River along which the Babkirk property is situated was first prospected by the gold rush miners of 1858 and 1859. After completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885, a large community of Chinese miners settled on the river at roughly the same location as the present property but centred on Little Leon Creek which cuts through Leon Creek Indian Reserves 2A and 2. Much evidence of their work, both north and south of Little Leon Creek, is present. They left the workings in the early 1900s when they were forced off the creeks and rivers by law. During the Depression many people made a living by panning. The Glasgow family of father and sons travelled and panned the river by boat during this period. Ford Glasgow remembered the present property as one of the best they had sampled and subsequently led W. Babkirk and associates to stake and open up a jeep road to the property during the last few years (ca. 1970, Assessment Report 3551). In 1970-71, sampling was carried out by Roy Erickson and Shore Explorations Ltd.
Sampling on the property was concentrated mainly on the 'beaches' along the Fraser River where samples consisted of 0.02 cubic metre panned by hand down to a black sand concentrate. All samples were taken of gravel at about 0.3 metre depth. Gold is quite fine and only a few pieces in all of the samples could be considered of nugget size. Analytical results from some samples yielded 89.8 grams per tonne gold, 40.7 grams per tonne gold and 11.9 grams per tonne platinum (Assessment Report 3551). Geological Survey of Canada Map 42-1989 shows the area to be underlain by Early Jurassic granodiorite.