North Trout Creek is a southeastward-flowing tributary of Trout Creek. It initially flows south-southeast for 4.8 kilometres before turning east and continuing for an additional 4.5 kilometres to the mouth of Pintin Creek, north of Whitehead Lake. The creek then flows south-southeast for 3.5 kilometres before entering Trout Creek, 44 kilometres northeast of Princeton.
The uppermost 9 kilometres of the creek runs through a broad, shallow valley. The valley steepens and narrows somewhat in the last 3 to 4 kilometres as the creek descends into Trout Creek.
Placer gold has been recovered from several locations along North Trout Creek, 100 to 1300 metres above the creek's confluence with Trout Creek. Three of the occurrences coincide with structural lineaments (Assessment Report 14989). Gold particles recovered from the stream's gravels have an angular shape, indicating a source nearby (Assessment Report 17560).
The placer deposits of this creek were mined by Don Agur up to the 1980s.