The Bright mine, located in Sections 1 and 2, Range 7, of the Cranberry District, is approximately 14.5 kilometres south of Nanaimo. Operations began in April 1950, with the intention of working the Douglas Seam immediately south of the old Granby No. 2 mine (092GSW051) workings. The Granby No.2 mine slope was dewatered and reopened, and formed the main slope of the Bright mine. The main slope was advanced 253 metres southeast of the old workings and a new No. 3 level was developed and advanced a total distance of 420 metres due east. Headings and counter levels driven from the No. 3 left level subdivided the area into a series of substantial pillars. Before extraction commenced the reserves were estimated at about 817,000 tonnes of coal.
The Douglas Seam, high volatile bituminous in rank, in the Bright mine is part of the Early Campanian Newcastle Member of the Upper Cretaceous Pender Formation, Nanaimo Group. The seam is variable and ranges up to 15 metres in thickness. The overlying strata consist of sandy shales, sandstones and conglomerates. The general structure of the area is synclinal, the old Granby workings are on the upper portion of the northern limb and the Bright mine workings are at the base. The dip of the seam in the Bright mine workings is generally less than 12 degrees.
Operations in 1953 were confined to the extraction of pillars. The Bright mine closed after being in production for only three years. The total production from the mine was 179,241 tonnes of excellent quality coal.