The Robert E. Burns property is located at the headwaters of a southeasterly flowing tributary of Bobbie Burns Creek, 2 kilometres west of the confluence of Bobbie Burns Creek and Carbonate Creek, about 30 kilometres south-southwest of Golden. The property is on the south side of the pass (Spillimacheen Range) into McMurdo Creek.
Quartz vein showings discovered in about 1889 were staked as the Bobbie Burns claim. A 5-stamp mill was installed at the 2072-metre elevation in 1891. During 1892 about 27 tonnes of ore were taken from an opencut and run through the mill, but gold recoveries were low. Litigation as to the ownership of the Bobbie Burns claim resulted in the claim being restaked at the Robert E. Burns (Lot 1002). In 1923, the property consisted of the Robert E. Burns, Mill Site (Lot 1091), Nugget (Lot 777), Highland Mary (Lot 1982) and Rider (Lot 776) claims.
Hostrocks on the property consist of northwest striking, steeply southeast dipping slates and schists of the Hadrynian Horsethief Creek Group. A series of quartz veins, 0.3 to 1.2 metres wide, strike northwest and cut the metasediments. Smaller crosscutting quartz veins are nearly at right angles to the northwest striking system. The quartz veins are locally mineralized with disseminated pyrite and small amounts of galena and arsenopyrite. The mineralization tends to be concentrated in the smaller vein system and where the smaller vein system crosscuts the larger veins.
There was some near-surface oxidation of sulphides that resulted in leached and honeycombed quartz, which when washed produced native gold. A pile of about 90 tonnes of ore was left outside the feeding platform at the mill; about 90 kilograms of the ore was taken from different parts of the pile, pulverized, and quartered down into two samples which assayed 10.2 and 9.5 grams per tonne gold, and 34.2 and 13.7 grams per tonne silver respectively (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1923, pages A197, A198).