The Sterling (Cabin Creek) occurrence is located on Cabin Creek, northeast of Lower Arrow Lake.
The area is underlain by Lardeau Group metasediments consisting of sericitic impure quartzite, quartz-chlorite-muscovite schist, graphite schist, crystalline limestone and chlorite-muscovite-magnetite schist. The rocks have a general strike of 015 degrees and a 30 degree northwest dip.
Locally, partially silicified sericite and chlorite schist hosts galena-molybdenite mineralization. In 1981, a diamond drill hole (DDH 81-3) intercepted 3.0 metres yielding 0.031 per cent molybdenum, 0.17 per cent lead and 20.9 grams per tonne silver (Assessment Report 9329).
The area was first staked in the late 1880’s as the Sterling and Hardpan claims. In the early 1900’s, two open cuts and three short adits were driven. In 1962, Great West Mining completed a program of sampling and ground geophysical surveys on the area as the Robina property. In 1966, Scurry-Rainbow Oil Company completed a program of electromagnetic and magnetic surveys and three diamond drill holes. In 1971, five or six diamond drill holes, totalling 612.3 metres, were completed by Nissan Mining and Development. In 1979, Brenda Mines completed soil sampling in the area. During 1980 and 1981, Newmont Mines, in conjunction with Esso, completed a program of geological mapping, sampling and 10 diamond drill holes, totalling 1427.3 metres, on the area as the Sterling claims.