The St. Paul mine is located on the steep north face of Monashee Mountain, 60 kilometres east-southeast of Vernon and approximately 800 metres north west of the Morgan (MINFILE 082LSE022) deposit.
The area is underlain by sedimentary rocks and greenish volcanics of the Devonian to Triassic Harper Ranch Group and the Upper Triassic to Lower Jurassic Nicola Group. These are intruded by a Jurassic diorite sill of the Nelson Intrusions near the St. Paul workings. The sediments consist of black slate and argillite with lesser grey to black limestone, intermediate volcanic tuffs and quartzite. Minor greenstone or andesite tuff occurs near the St. Paul workings. The volcanics and sediments generally strike east and dip south. The intrusion is medium- grained, dark grey and carries disseminated pyrite, locally in heavy concentrations. The diorite exhibits chlorite and carbonate alteration and has hornfelsed the surrounding rocks.
Mineralization at the St. Paul workings occurs as scattered to sub-massive sulphides in quartz veins within or adjacent to the diorite sill. Varying amounts of disseminated sulphides also occur in the diorite body and in certain of the surrounding host rocks. There are two large quartz veins (61 to 182 centimetres wide), 10 to 15 narrower ones (1 to 15 centimetres wide) and one mineralized "silicified zone". Most of the veins strike northwest and dip moderately to shallowly southwest.
Mineralization in the large quartz veins consists of stringers, bunches and massive to sub-massive lenses of arsenopyrite with occasional massive lenses of jamesonite and stibnite. Minor amounts of the antimony minerals are found as small stringers and disseminated grains. Minor amounts of pyrite, tetrahedrite, sphalerite and chalcopyrite sometimes accompany the arsenopyrite. High silver values indicate the presence of some other sulphosalt, possibly freibergite. At the face of the No. 3 adit, the vein was 0.91 to 1.2 metres wide and composed of heavily mineralized diorite. The vein contains approximately 0.5 to 60 centimetres of nearly solid sulphides, principally a mixture of arsenical iron with streaks and small kidneys of antimony sulphides, mostly jamesonite.
The narrow quartz veins are mineralized with smaller quantities of the above minerals, usually as small stringers or disseminated grains. Other small quartz veins with northeast strikes and southeast dips may represent faulted segments of one vein. These veins are mainly quartz containing sulphides as disseminations or as streaks, bunches or small kidneys of nearly solid mineral. The sulphides are principally arsenopyrite, antimony sulphides, pyrite and pyrrhotite. Very small amounts of galena, sphalerite and copper pyrites are present and native silver occurs in microscopic specks. The diorite sill commonly contains disseminated pyrite and arsenopyrite and locally these minerals may constitute 5 to 10 per cent of the intrusive rock. Disseminated pyrite and arsenopyrite were also noted in blue-grey limestone and in a feldspar porphyry dike (dacite porphyry) adjacent to the south contact of the diorite body.
A diffuse "silicified zone" occurs adjacent to the footwall or northern contact of the diorite sill. The zone is approximately 1.2 to 1.5 metres wide and contains scattered to sub-massive pyrite and arsenopyrite. The zone is exposed in a small creek above the portal of adit 4. A representative grab sample of this material assayed 66 grams per tonne silver and 5 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Report on the St. Paul Property, 1974).
In 1974, a 1-metre chip sample from adit 1 across one of the massive sulphide lenses in a quartz vein assayed 1371 grams per tonne silver, 6.5 grams per tonne gold, 4.39 per cent lead, 0.03 per cent zinc and 3.8 per cent antimony (Property File - Report on the St. Paul Property, 1974). A grab sample, taken from a 1.2- metre quartz vein carrying scattered arsenopyrite, jamesonite and pyrite 12 metres from the portal of adit 1, assayed 381 grams per tonne silver and 3 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Report on the St. Paul Property, 1974).
Recorded production for the period 1914 to 1973 totals 392 tonnes producing 5630 grams of gold, 112 ,406 grams of silver, 3720 kilograms of lead and 1258 kilograms of zinc. These figures include production from the Morgan deposit.
Development work began on the Toughnut claim in 1913. In 1914, a tramline was constructed and a mill was installed on the Sheppard claim. The mill operated for short periods in 1914 and 1915, milling 200 tonnes. Four claims, the Black Bess, Minerva, Zilpah and Toughnut (Lots 4186 to 4189), were Crown granted in 1915. Development work, mainly on the Toughnut claim during the period 1914 to 1916, included two adits, 6.1 metres and 106.7 metres in length. In 1927, St. Paul Mines Ltd. acquired the four Crown grants and three claims, which included the Morgan (MINFILE 082LSE022) occurrence. Intermittent development work continued into 1933. The workings in 1930 included five adits from 10.7 to 106.7 metres in length, two winzes and a number of trenches. The company reportedly carried out some work in 1949.
In 1962, a new adit begun in 1961 was extended to a total length of 61 metres. A shipment of 7.3 tonnes was reported in 1966. The property in 1971 included the four Crown grants and the Snow, Snowshoe and SKB claims. During 1971 through 1973, exploration work included trenching and stripping. Some crude ore was shipped in 1971 and 1973 and 4.5 tonnes of concentrate were shipped in 1973. In 1973, Coast Interior Ventures Ltd. leased the properties and in 1974 carried out extensive road improvements, re-opening and deepening of old trenches, opening and draining adits 4 and 5 at the St. Paul workings and a metallurgical study on a bulk sample from the St. Paul workings.
In 1982 and 1983, Brican Resources conducted programs of rock and soil sampling, geological mapping and a ground magnetometer survey on the area. In 1990, Commonwealth Gold conducted a minor program of rock, silt and heavy mineral sampling on the area as the Yeoward claims. During 1992 through 1994, Cameco Corp. completed programs of geological mapping, ground electromagnetic and magnetic geophysical surveys, six diamond drill holes, totalling 631.1 metres, and rock, soil and silt sampling. In 2006, Royal Monashee Gold completed a program of geological mapping, trenching and rock, silt and soil sampling on the area as the KWS claims. In 2012 and 2013, the area was prospected and sampled as the Kannika North claim.