Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas and Responsible for Housing
News | The Premier Online | Ministries & Organizations | Job Opportunities | Main Index

MINFILE Home page   ARIS Home page MINFILE Search page   Property File Search
Help Help
New Window
File Created: 24-Jul-85 by BC Geological Survey (BCGS)
Last Edit:  26-Oct-95 by Keith J. Mountjoy(KJM)

Summary Help Help

NMI 082K3 Zn3
Name WHITEWATER (L.1170), DAVYS, WHITEWATER DEEP FR. (L.2268), IRENE (L.1171), MYRTLE R. (L.1418), TENNIE C. (L.1419), ELKHORN (L.2428), LITTLE RALPH (L.2429), BRESLAU (L.2430), HUSTLER (L.2431), ALPHA NO. 1, PAUPERS DREAM, NANCY HANKS (L.1421), MAUDE S. (L.1422), FRESNO (L.1423), HAZEL C. (L.1424) Mining Division Slocan
BCGS Map 082K005
Status Past Producer NTS Map 082K03E
Latitude 50º 02' 56" N UTM 11 (NAD 83)
Longitude 117º 07' 59" W Northing 5544075
Easting 490474
Commodities Silver, Zinc, Lead, Gold, Cadmium, Copper Deposit Types I05 : Polymetallic veins Ag-Pb-Zn+/-Au
J01 : Polymetallic manto Ag-Pb-Zn
Tectonic Belt Omineca Terrane Quesnel
Capsule Geology

The Whitewater occurrence, consisting of a major lode containing many orebodies, was covered by 24 Crown grants and fractions belonging to the Whitewater and Whitewater Deep groups. The underground workings on this lode lie on the west side of Whitewater Creek, 1 kilometre north of its confluence with the Kaslo River. A total of 471,063 tonnes of ore mined is recorded for this past producer spanning a period from 1892 to 1980. Records indicate about 108 tonnes silver, 54 kilograms gold, 23,132 tonnes zinc, 13,942 tonnes lead, 39 tonnes cadmium and 45 kilograms copper were recovered.

The Whitewater claim was located by J.C Eaton in 1892. In this same year 7.26 tonnes were shipped, the first shipment from this district. Property work and production were sporadic from this point to 1980, by various owners and lease holders. The Irene claim and perhaps others were added to the Whitewater Group in 1898 and the first concentrator was built on-site under the direction of the newly formed Whitewater Co. Ltd. Ground covering the Whitewater Deep group was acquired during this year by the Whitewater Deep Company and the No. 9 and 10 levels were tunnelled. A zinc-rich orebody was discovered below the No. 10 level but little or no work was done on it. Work was carried out independently on the Whitewater and Whitewater Deep groups until J. Retallack and associates acquired a lease on the Whitewater Deep group. At this time the workings were connected. Fire destroyed the mining camp in July 1910 and the following year Retallack and associates purchased the combined property. Operations continued on a reduced scale until 1922. The nine claims of the Whitewater group and 15 of the Whitewater Deep group were combined under the Whitewater Mines Ltd. in 1922, the final consolidation. Work was concentrated on the No. 11, 12 and 13 levels. The Metal Recovery Co. erected a small concentrator on the Kaslo River to treat tailings from the old Whitewater mill. A new mill was installed in 1928 which operated until July 1929, when operation by the company ceased. From 1932 to 1935 and briefly in 1937, the S.N. Ross Mining Syndicate operated the mine, mainly on the 1472 level. A 40-60 per cent partnership was agreed to between Whitewater Mines Ltd. and Kootenay Bell Gold Mines Ltd. under the name Retallack Mines Ltd. in 1943. Mill capacity was increased from 114 tonnes to 272 tonnes and put into operation in March 1944. Ore was mined from the 14 and 1472 levels in 1944, then in the vicinity of the No. 12 and 13 levels. Operations continued until 1952 during which considerable ore was recovered from the old Whitewater dumps. The Canada Trust Co. bought out Kootenay Bell Gold Mines Ltd. in 1953. The mill was sold in 1956 at which time the property was acquired by the Consolidated Mining and Smelting Co. of Canada. Over its mine life a total of 11 adits and 14 levels were mined over a distance of 550 metres downdip along the lode.

The Whitewater deposit consists of an upper zone characterized by veins and a lower zone characterized by structurally controlled replacement of limestone and lamprophyre. There are few surface outcrops at the Whitewater lode and most of the geology is known from exploration of the lode by adits. Mining occurred on 14 levels and several sublevels. The No. 14 adit was the principal working adit. Bulletin 22 gives a full description of the underground workings on Figure 5. The Whitewater lode is hosted by carbonaceous slates, slaty argillites, impure limestones and few quartzite beds of the Triassic Slocan Group. This strata is intruded by at least one porphyritic lamprophyre dike that is highly altered to carbonate and sericite and locally mariposite.

The upper zone occurs in a zone of shearing and fracturing in slates. The lamprophyre dike occurs as sheets and lenses within the lode and locally within the walls and intruded pre-mineralization. Above the No. 7 level the productive zone is up to 20 metres thick in sheared and brecciated hostrocks. Carbonaceous gouge and slickensides are well developed along vein walls. The productive zone extended down to the No. 9 level and one small stope on the 9.5 level. Ore consists of galena and sphalerite with minor tetrahedrite and trace pyrite and chalcopyrite, and occurs as streaks up to 20 centimetres wide, lenses and irregular pods up to 12 metres wide. Ore is hosted in a gangue of mostly siderite, as much as 1.5 metres, and some quartz. Ore in the uppermost levels is oxidized. Sphalerite contains cadmium in small amounts. The structure of the hangingwall was thought to be an important factor in localization of the ore as well as the flatter dip of the lode at this level.

The structure of the lower zone is complex. The Whitewater lode flattens abruptly below the No. 13 level from an average dip of 60 degrees to 20 degrees northward towards the lode. The footwall consists of slates and the hangingwall consists of limestone. Local silicification occurs around the replacement bodies. There are three ore types in the lower zone. The first type occurs as masses and lenses within the lode. The second ore type consists of massive replacement of limestone by sphalerite and siderite gangue. It constitutes the majority of lower zone ore and is referred to as the "spathic ore". Disseminated and locally massive galena comprises roughly one-fifth of orebodies. Pyrite and chalcopyrite are rare. Spathic ore occurs in overlapping lenses up to 10 metres thick, conformable to bedding with minor local silicification observed. On the No. 12 level the main orebody was 137 metres long by 2.4 metres wide, on average. The replacement bodies appear to be controlled by irregular-spaced fractures. The third ore type consists of sphalerite and galena in a gangue of magnetite, pyrrhotite, pyrite and other silicate minerals, replacing the lamprophyre dike. This ore, referred to as the "magnetic ore", occurs in relatively large bodies between the No. 12 and 14 levels. The maximum width is 12 metres and length 76 metres. Between No. 12 and 13 levels the limestone-slate contact is dragfolded, the dominant structural control localizing ore in the lower zone. These levels produced most of the ore between 1925 and 1935.

Northern Crown Mines Ltd. optioned the property in 1989 and conducted sampling.

Bibliography
EMPR AR 1892-532; 1893-1083; 1894-738; 1896-37,47,49,64; 1897-527;  1898-1082,1086,1154,1158; 1899-596,707,815; 1900-851; 1901-1024,  1028; 1904-160,199; 1905-159; 1906-144,248; 1907-97,213; 1908-94,  1909-106,272; 1910-97,243; 1911-132,136,284; 1912-148,322,  1913-124,420; 1914-285,509; 1915-119,445; 1916-196; 1917-156;  1918-160; 1919-121; 1920-121; 1921-134; 1922-189,194; 1923-210;  1924-189; 1925-234,239; 1926-261; 1927-286; 1928-303; 1929-284,  318,320; 1930-252,379; 1932-180; 1933-208; 1934-A25; 1935-A27,E34,  35; 1937-E54; 1939-38,94; 1940-25,64; 1941-25,62; 1942-72; 1943-  65,71; 1944-40,69; 1945-43,104; 1946-153,160; 1948-142; 1949-185;  1950-140; 1951-40,166; 1952-42,172; 1953-45,138; 1956-A51,93;  1975-A95; 1976-A105; 1977-116
EMPR ASS RPT 7835, 8529, 9060
EMPR BC METAL MM01304
EMPR BULL *22, pp. 5-27
EMPR EXPL 1975-E44
EMPR INDEX 3-218; 4-126
EMPR IR 1984-2, p. 103
EMPR LMP Fiche No. 61766-61771
EMPR MINING 1975-1980, Vol.1, pp. 33,56,61,64,75
EMPR OF 1998-10
EMPR PF (Whitewater Mines Ltd. (1924): Prospectus; Lakes, A. (1926):  Preliminary report on the Whitewater mines; Whitewater Mines Ltd.  (1926): Report of the Whitewater Mines Ltd.; *Snell, J.C. (1977):  The Geology and Mineralization of the Triassic Basal Member,  Slocan Sediments, Whitewater District of British Columbia; Snell,  J.C. (1977): Claims map Whitewater district; Snell, J.C. (1977):  Production map, Slocan district, British Columbia; Snell, J.C.  (1977): Progress Report No. 2)
EMR MP CORPFILE (Kootenay Belle Gold Mines Ltd.; Whitewater Mines  Ltd.)
GSC MAP 273A; 1667
GSC MEM 173, pp. 79,100; *184, p. 260
GSC OF 432; 464
CANMET IR 261 (1906), p. 174; 688 (1926), p. 87

COPYRIGHT | DISCLAIMER | PRIVACY | ACCESSIBILITY