Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas and Responsible for Housing
News | The Premier Online | Ministries & Organizations | Job Opportunities | Main Index

MINFILE Home page   ARIS Home page MINFILE Search page   Property File Search
Help Help
New Window
File Created: 24-Jul-85 by BC Geological Survey (BCGS)
Last Edit:  14-Mar-91 by Garry J. Payie(GJP)

Summary Help Help

NMI 082F3 Au1
Name ARLINGTON (L.3648), NEW ARLINGTON Mining Division Nelson
BCGS Map 082F024
Status Past Producer NTS Map 082F03W
Latitude 49º 13' 27" N UTM 11 (NAD 83)
Longitude 117º 19' 43" W Northing 5452428
Easting 476073
Commodities Gold, Silver, Lead, Zinc Deposit Types I05 : Polymetallic veins Ag-Pb-Zn+/-Au
Tectonic Belt Omineca Terrane Quesnel, Plutonic Rocks
Capsule Geology

This property, consisting of 9 Crown-granted claims and fractions, is located between Rest and Hooch Creeks about 4.8 kilometres northwest of Salmo.

The Arlington claim (Lot 3648) was Crown-granted to the Hastings (British Columbia) Exploration Syndicate Ltd. in 1899. The mine was in continuous operation from 1900 until June 1912; leasers kept the mine operating until November 1913. No further work was done until 1927 when the Arlington Mining Company reopened the mine and installed a 15 stamp mill; the company operated intermittently through 1928.

In 1929 the property was acquired by Relief-Arlington Mines Ltd.; the company was subsequently controlled by the W.N. O'Neil Company Ltd. and in the 1940's by Premier Cold Mining Company. The mine was operated under lease by R. Oscarson from 1932 to 1942.

Messrs. Schrieves and R. & K. Golac optioned the property in 1943 and acquired title to it in 1945. Intermittent operations were carried on by the owners or by leasers until October 1948 when F.C. Buckland optioned the property. Subsequent operations were carried on under an agreement by Kenville Gold Mines Limited until May 31, 1950, when the property reverted to the former owners.

New Arlington Mines Limited was formed in December 1951 to work the property. The mill capacity was increased from 50 to 125 tons per day and milling operations, mainly of dump material, continued into 1954. Subsequent operations were carried on intermittently by leasers. In about 1961 the property was acquired by J. Russell of Borrega Springs, California.

Development work totals over 5182 metres of drift, crosscuts and raises. The vein has been explored and largely mined out for 457 metres along the strike.

Lower to Middle Jurassic argillites and argillaceous quartzites of the Hall Formation (Rossland Group) are gently folded and intruded by a granite-porphyry sill of the Middle to Late Jurassic Nelson Intrusions.

Pyrite, galena, and sphalerite mineralization is hosted by quartz in a 0.6 metre thick vein which closely follows the granite- sediment contact but which locally occurs as a footwall or hanging wall to the intrusive sill. The vein lies in strata which exhibits gentle "rolls" or folds downdip and these structures may have had some controlling influence on mineralization. The vein has been explored and largely mined out for 460 metres along strike.

The mine was in production from 1900 to 1913 and again from 1932 to 1970. The total amount of ore mined for these years was 69,823 tonnes. Recovered from the ore was 1,700,339 grams of gold, 4,334,578 grams of silver, 520,420 kilograms of lead and 456,920 kilograms of zinc.

In 1969, G.D. Fox and Associates of Trail, hauled material from the old dumps to the Trail smelter. These operations ceased in 1970. It is possible that Shalman Resources Limited held the property in 1975.

In 1982, the property was owned by Chutine Resources Ltd. They estimate that there are about 113,000 tonnes of dump material from which samples assayed between 3 and 53.5 grams of gold per tonne (Northern Miner, October 28, 1982, page 6).

In 1983, a soil geochemistry survey was carried out. About 3084 tonnes were mined producing about 7400 grams of gold. In 1985, Ryan Exploration Company Ltd. acquired the Chutine's interest. Chutine dropped its option in 1988.

Bibliography
EMPR AR 1899-842; 1900-847,982; 1902-161; 1903-148; 1904-129,135,  142; 1905-168; 1906-150,248; 1907-103,213; 1908-108,246; 1909-  119,272; 1910-107; 1911-159,284; 1912-155,322; 1913-131,419;  1927-313; 1928-338; 1932-159,195; 1933-199,236; 1934-A26; 1935-  E29,A27,G50; 1936-E47; 1937-A38,A39,E27; 1938-A35,E40; 1939-  39,42,84; 1940-25,69; 1941-26,68; 1942-A27,A64; 1943-65;  1944-40,62; 1945-43,100; 1946-35,145; 1947-162; 1948-133; 1949-  167; 1950-123; 1951-41,138; 1952-43,146; 1953-45,116; 1954-49,  126; 1957-A46; 1958-A45,38; 1960-A54; 1961-A49,68; 1962-A49,74;  1963-A49,70; 1964-A55,115; 1965-181; 1966-212; 1967-244; 1968-242
EMPR ASS RPT *11542, 12075
EMPR BC METAL MM00953
EMPR BULL 109
EMPR FIELDWORK 1987, pp. 19-30; 1988, pp. 33-43; 1989, pp. 11-27;  1990, pp. 9-31
EMPR GEM 1969, p. 318
EMPR INDEX 3-188; 4-119
EMPR OF 1988-1; 1989-11; 1990-8; 1990-9; 1991-2; 1991-16
EMPR PF (*1:720 Scale Map of Arlington Mine, unknown author; also  Miscellaneous clippings; Relief-Arlington Mines, Limited, Annual  Report for 1938)
EMR MP CORPFILE (Relief Arlington Mines Ltd.; New Arlington  Mines Ltd.; Chutine Resources Ltd.)
GSC MAP 299A; 1090A; 1091A; 1145A
GSC MEM *172, p. 75; 308, p. 174
GSC OF 1195
CANMET IR 1935, 771, p. 134-141, #653
CANMET RPT Investigation No. MD2599 (1949); Concentration and  Cyanidation Tests on a Sample of Low Grade Dump Material,  containing Gold, Silver, Lead and Zinc from Arlington Mine,  Ymir Area, Nelson District, British Columbia
GCNL #209,#246, 1975; #197, 1979; #74, 1984; #114,#174,#200,#217,  1985
IPDM Mar/Apr 1983
N MINER Oct.28, 1982; Sept.22, 1983; Jan. 24, 1985

COPYRIGHT | DISCLAIMER | PRIVACY | ACCESSIBILITY