The property is located at approximately 914 metres elevation on the north side of Oscar Creek, 0.8 kilometre east of Ymir.
Dundee Gold Mining Company, Limited Liability, was incorporated in December 1896 by Charles Dundee and associates of Rossland to develop the property, one of the first to be worked in the Ymir area. The Parker, Old Bill, and Lighthart claims (Lots 1861-1863) were Crown-granted to the company in 1897, and the Annie Fraction (Lot 3849) and White Pine (Lot 4004) in 1902. Intermittent development work comprising a 79-metre shaft and some 126 metres of crosscuts and drifts was carried out from 1897 to 1902. In 1898 a concentrator and tram line were erected and put into operation but were destroyed by fire in April 1899.
Vancouver interests were negotiating for the property in 1903. Dundee Cold Mine, Limited was incorporated in Vancouver in July 1904 to acquire the property. Some rehabilitation work was done in 1903 and lessees worked for a short period in 1905.
The Dundee, Dundee Fraction, and M.S. claims (Lots 7241- were Crown-granted to Dundee Cold Mining and Milling Company, of Everett, Washington, which was registered in British Columbia in 1905. The location of these claims relative to the Dundee propery is not known.
Work resumed in June 1910 when an adit "Dundee adit" was begun on the Old Bill claim some 274 metres below the collar of the shaft. By 1915 when work ceased the adit had been driven as a crosscut for 568 metres, and for 333 metres of drifting on the vein.
The Mining Corporation of Canada, Limited optioned the property late in 1919 and some exploration work was carried out in 1920. The option was dropped in 1921.
Ymir Dundee Gold Mining Company, Limited, incorporated June 1934, acquired the property under agreement from Dundee Gold Mine, Limited adn development work was begun in driving a raise. Operations continued until mid 1935.
Ymir Yankee Girl Gold Mined, Limited, owner of the adjacent Yankee Girl mine, aquired a lease and bond on the property early in 1940. A crosscut was begun from the Yankee Girl main (376 metres) level to connect with the raise from the Dundee adit. Some 660 metres of raising on the Dundee supplied most or the ore milled during 1941 and to the and of 1942 when the mine closed. Lessees owned pillar and stope remnants in 1950. The workings to date comprised 8 levels over a vertical range of 305 metres.
Yankee Dundee Mines Limited was incorporated in November 1952 by Ralph Sostad and associates to develop the Yankee Girl and Dundee mines, however no work was reported on the Dundee. The company name was changed in 1963 to Dundee Mines Limited.
Burlington Mines Ltd., (of which Ralph Sostad was a director) acquired 36 claims comprising the Dundee and Yankee Girl properties from Dundee Mines Limited by an agreement dated July 1966. No work was reported on the Dundee.
The Dundee mine is located on the north side of Oscar Creek, 3 kilometres east-northeast of Ymir. This property was one of the first to be developed in the Ymir area; gold was initially discovered on the Dundee in 1896. The Dundee and Yankee Girl (082FSW068) mines were amalgamated in 1940. A crosscut was developed from the Yankee Girl 1235 level to connect with the raise from the Dundee adit. The Dundee mine closed in 1942 and no further work has been reported. The Yankee Girl vein occurs 300 metres to the north.
The area is underlain by Jurassic Ymir Group slate, argillite and argillaceous quartzites intruded by granodiorite of the Middle to Late Jurassic Nelson Intrusions. The contact with a southern tongue of the Nelson batholith occurs about 400 metres to the east. The area is strongly faulted with the faults forming a conjugate set. One set, striking 290 degrees and dipping 60 to 70 degrees north, hosts mineralized veins.
The Dundee vein, a strong fault-fissure striking 060 to 070 degrees east and dipping 60 to 70 degrees northwest, cuts both the sediments and intrusive. The zone has well-defined walls and varies from 2 to 6 metres in width. On the hanging wall, 30 to 60 centimetres of fault gouge is present and the footwall is granite. The vein hosts sheared country rock fragments in a quartz gangue containing pyrite, galena, and sphalerite, in order of abundance. The vein, parallel to the Yankee Girl vein, has been traced on surface for many hundreds of metres. At surface, the vein is 4 metres wide and increases with depth. The vein is offset and intersected by lamprophyre dykes.
Production at the Dundee was principally from a 33-metre long ore shoot in the vein where it crosscuts a tongue of granodiorite. The ore bearing sections of the vein are up to 4 metres wide. Sulphide mineralization is less abundant where the vein crosscuts sediments. The Dundee vein is paralleled by the Blue vein which generally hosts less gold and dips less steeply.
Production from the Dundee has been included with the Yankee Girl, however, this property had only a limited production of 2717 tonnes with grades in the order of 10 grams per tonne gold and 170 grams per tonne silver. Inferred reserves are 872,000 tonnes at approximately the same grade as the material mined (George Cross News Letter No. 215, 1983). There are 360,000 tonnes of reported material left on the dumps (George Cross News Letter No. 212, 1983).
Kingsvale Resources Ltd. optioned the property in 1988 and conducted trenching and sampling; they dropped the option in 1989.