The Silver Hill (L.2852) occurrence is located at an elevation of 1741 metres on the south side of Canyon Creek, a north west-flowing tributary of Crawford Creek, approximately 18 kilometres east of Kootenay Lake.
The area is underlain by phyllite, quartzite and grit of the Upper Proterozoic Horsethief Creek Group (Windermere Supergroup) and quartz arenite sedimentary rocks of the Middle Proterozoic Mount Nelson Formation (Purcell Supergroup).
Locally, a splayed quartz vein, from 30 to 60 centimetres wide, parallels bedding in a dark- grey argillite of the Middle Proterozoic Mount Nelson Formation (Purcell Supergroup). The vein has been traced for at least 500 metres and is mineralized with galena, sphalerite, tetrahedrite and pyrite with lesser chalcopyrite. A second vein is reported approximately 20 metres uphill and to the west and consists of massive white quartz with galena and tetrahedrite.
In 2008, 11 samples averaged 1179.8 grams per tonne silver, 1.5 per cent copper, 5.8 per cent lead and 5.1 per cent zinc, while a 20- centimetre wide sample (52007) of vein material from the adit assayed 5732.9 grams per tonne silver, 0.68 grams per tonne gold, 9.47 per cent copper, 10.69 per cent lead, 3.25 per cent zinc and 2.40 per cent antimony (Assessment Report 30211). A sample from the second vein assayed 428.3 grams per tonne silver, 3.14 per cent lead, 0.24 per cent copper and 0.13 per cent zinc (Assessment Report 30211).
A number of ore shipments occurred from 1901 to 1952. From a total of 2,204 tonnes mined, 2,184 kilograms of silver, 31 grams of gold, 26 kilograms of copper, 159,401 kilograms of lead and 16,122 kilograms of zinc were recovered.
The Silver Hill group, including the Silver Hill (Lot 2852), Green Crown, S & N Fraction, Norfolk, Simcoe, and Boy Crown-granted claims, was held from 1898 until 1901 by The London Consolidated Gold Fields Exploration and Mining Company Limited, which was incorporated March 1897. The Richelieu group, adjoining the Silver Hill group on the south, included the Indication (Lot 2863) and Jennie D, Crown-granted claims. The Richelieu Mining Company Limited, incorporated May 1899, carried out development work on the property until 1901. The London and Richelieu Mining and Smelting Company Limited, Incorporated June 1901, apparently acquired both groups of claims and work continued until late 1901. Development work to this date consisted of 1036 metres of underground workings in four adits and some 457 metres of open cutting and stripping. The X-ray claim (Lot 5089), located a short distance south of the Indication claim, was Crown-granted to H.M. Rumball in 1901, however, no development work has been reported.
Lessees reportedly shipped ore from the property in 1903. Silver Hill Mines Limited, incorporated in August 1916, is reported to have shipped ore from the property in 1917. In 1925, W.J. Williams and associates leased the property from the Bank of Montreal and the following year shipped 23 tonnes of ore.
No further work was reported until approximately 1935, when private capital began exploration work on the property. British Columbia Lead and Zinc Mines Limited, Franced in March 1937, acquired the property and expanded it to 17 claims. The four adits were cleaned out and the veins resampled;, however, no further work was reported by the company. Mr. J.J. Gray of Toronto held a lease on the property and, during 1949 and 1950, made several shipments of ore from the dump. In 1952, the Abco Mining Corporation Limited, Nelson, B.C., made a shipment of 15 tonnes of ore from the property.
In 2008, Kent Explorations completed a program of rock sampling on the area.