The Great Dane (L.5285) occurrence is located at an elevation of 2109 metres near the head of Morris Creek, on the southerly side of the ridge between St. Mary River and Dewar Creek.
The area is primarily underlain by siltstone, argillite and quartzite of the Creston Formation, while dolomitic carbonate rocks of the Kitchener Formation, both of the Middle Proterozoic Purcell Supergroup, outcrop to the east and west. Gabbro sills and dikes intrude the sediments.
Locally, on the Great Dane Crown grant, mineralization consists of pods, up to 1.8 metres wide, and stringers of galena, sphalerite, chalcopyrite and pyrite in quartzites and siliceous schists of the Middle Proterozoic Creston Formation (Purcell Supergroup). Secondary minerals include siderite, limonite, malachite with traces of azurite and erythrite.
In 1986, a channel sample (GD-1a) of massive sulphides from the Great Dane adit portal assayed 693.9 grams per tonne silver, 61.50 per cent lead, 10.70 per cent zinc and 2.04 per cent copper across 0.6 metre, while samples from pits 5 and 1c assayed 622.4 and 346.1 grams per tonne silver with 45.40 and 32.60 per cent lead across 0.6 and 0.5 metre, respectively (Assessment Report 15309).
In 1996, chip samples, taken across 2.0 metres from the adit portal, assayed 0.2 gram per tonne gold, 65 grams per tonne silver, 2.60 per cent copper, 9.60 per cent zinc, 14.00 per cent lead and 0.10 per cent cobalt (Assessment Report 25392).
The Great Dane claim (Lot 5285) was Crown-granted to the Sawyer brothers and Georgina LaPointe in 1901. Two adjacent claims, the White Star (Lot 5286) and Fisher (Lot 5287) were crown-granted to Fred Coyle & Associates in 1903. Development work on the Great Dane Crown grant, in 1901, included a drift or adit driven for approximately 20 metres, and a crosscut, driven in barren quartzite from the face of the adit, for approximately 69 metres at 280 degrees.
In 1986, Agincourt Explorations completed a program of rock sampling, geological mapping and underground surveys on the area. In 1996 and 1997, programs of rock, silt and soil sampling were completed on the area as the GD claims. In 2006, Eagle Plains Resources completed a 154.3 line-kilometre airborne geophysical survey on the area as the K9 property. In 2009, a further 479.1 line-kilometre airborne geophysical survey was completed. In 2013, a program of geological mapping and rock, silt and soil sampling were completed.