The KELOWNA clay showing is located in the Mount Dilworth area within the present Kelowna city limits. William Haug and Sons Brickworks used the clay to make bricks from before 1932 to 1940.
Mount Dilworth is formed of flow-banded dacite lavas of the Eocene Penticton Group, Marama Formation. To the north are trachyte to trachyandesite lavas and pyroclastic rocks of the Penticton Group, Marron Formation. Mount Dilworth is surrounded by glacial lake sediments on all sides, except on the southeast, where there are raised alluvial fans, terraces and deltas. Insufficient information exists to determine if the showing is a lacustrine deposit, or if it is a clay alteration zone in the volcanic rocks.
The clay was of two types: a light-yellow clay with some stones, and a hard dark-brown, non-calcareous clay. It was noted that the clay works well with 23.3 per cent water, although somewhat short. It was safe drying at 80 degrees centigrade with an average shrinkage of 4.6 per cent. The firing characteristics of the light yellow clay are: 04 cone, 16.5 per cent absorption, 1.3 per cent shrinkage, light pink colour, and soft with some scum. The firing characteristics of the dark brown clay are: 2 cone, 7.5 per cent absorption, 6 per cent shrinkage, brown red colour, and very hard with scum. Overall, the poor colours and scumming make the clay unattractive. It was also noted that the abundance of iron stain was due to the concretions in the clay (Bulletin 30, p. 51).