The LIGHTNING PEAK past producer is located on the FIRST CHANCE Crown grant, (Lot 3414), approximately 3.5 kilometres to the northeast of the summit of Lightning Peak.
The occurrence is found in greenstone and schist of the Devonian-Triassic Harper Ranch Group which is hosted by granodiorite and diorite of an unnamed Middle Jurassic intrusion. Quartz porphyry dikes and pegmatitic granodiorite dikes are commonly associated with quartz veining at the LIGHTNING PEAK occurrence. The quartz forms narrow veins and lenses, or partly replaces the wallrocks within and adjacent to shear zones. Calcite is sometimes associated with the quartz. Galena and sphalerite form streaks, disseminations, and lenses within the shear zones. Minor amounts of pyrite, chalcopyrite, ruby silver, argentite, and native silver are also present. Copper carbonate (malachite?) has been noted on surface exposures. The shear zones are of variable thickness up to about 1 metre thick. The main vein strikes east-west, has a near vertical dip and is cut by north striking faults.
The LIGHTNING PEAK occurrence was staked around 1901 by F. Fritz and C. Harrigan, and Crown granted in 1905 as the THUNDER HILL (Lot 3413), FIRST CHANCE (Lot 3414), WEST FORK (Lot 3415) and JIM HILL (Lot 3416). In 1904, a 4.5-tonne sample was shipped to the smelter at Nelson. It assayed 5611 grams per tonne silver and 26 percent lead (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1904, page G224). In 1906, the property was leased by W.A. Calder & Associates and 38 tonnes of ore was shipped in 1907 and 1908.
In 1917, the mine was re-opened by W.A. Calder, who made several shipments, totaling 17 tonnes, during the period 1918-1920. In 1921, the property was leased by W. Williams who shipped 5 tonnes in 1922 and 9 tonnes in 1923. In 1925, W.A. Calder leased the property again and formed the Lightning Peak Mining Company Limited in 1927. Production during the next 3 years amounted to 54 tonnes. Lightning Peak Mining Company ceased operation in 1932, although W.A. Calder continued to operate the mine intermittently until 1936. Mine development, as of 1930, consisted of a 29-metre shaft, 4 adits and extensive surface work. The underground workings explored the main vein for a total length of approximately 300 metres and over a vertical range of approximately 60 metres.
Total recorded production for the period 1904-36 is 139 tonnes which yielded 434,943 grams of silver, 93 grams of gold, 35,961 kilograms of lead and 3362 kilograms of zinc.
In 1969, International Mine Services Ltd. mapped the two lower levels of the LIGHTNING PEAK workings for the Great Horn Mining Syndicate. The No. 3 adit was found to be about 23 metres long and was connected to the fourth level by a 15-metre chute. Adit No. 4 was found to be a crooked and low-backed drift on a vein which averaged 10 centimetres in width. The 210-metre long drift ends with a raise and two 25-metre crosscuts. Mineralization in the drift, consisting of fine-grained galena with minor quartz in a gangue of altered greenstone, follows a tight fracture in fine-grained greenish volcanics. A sample of the mineralization assayed 77.6 grams per tonne silver and 6.77 per cent lead (Assessment Report 2330). In 1968 and in 1969 Mining Lease No. M22, covering 18 hectares of the WEST FORK (L.3413) and JIM HILL (L.3416) Crown grants, was issued to the Great Horn Mining Syndicate Inc. No production is recorded.