The KILLARNEY past producer is located on Lot 4637, which is approximately 2 kilometres northeast of Lightning Peak.
The KILLARNEY occurs in greenstone of the Devonian-Triassic Harper Ranch Group which is hosted by granodiorite and diorite of an unnamed Middle Jurassic intrusion. Late quartz porphyry dikes cut through metavolcanic and intrusive rocks in this area.
The occurrence consists of mineralized quartz veins exposed in several short adits and trenches. The veins have a general west to northwesterly strike and a north to northeasterly dip. Mineralization in the veins consists of streaks and small lenses of argentiferous galena with minor amounts of sphalerite, pyrite and chalcopyrite. The veins vary in width from several centimetres up to about 30 centimetres. Faulting of the veins is extensive, with each successive segment thrown northward. The vein, or veins, exposed on the KILLARNEY property are similar to those of the WATERLOO (082ENE017) mine 4 kilometres to the northwest and to the LIGHTNING PEAK (082ENE035) occurrence 300 metres to the southeast.
The KILLARNEY claim was staked in 1918 and Crown granted in 1925, as Lot 4637, to W.J. Banting of Edgewood.
In 1919, a trial shipment of 1 tonne of hand-picked, mineralized talus was shipped to the Trail smelter. It produced 2177 grams of silver and 360 kilograms of lead. Work, prior to 1922, consisted of 2 adits, 8 and 15 metres long, respectively, which did not locate the vein. A sample of massive sulphide from the property assayed 0.68 gram per tonne gold, 2121 grams per tonne silver, 60 per cent lead and 4 per cent zinc (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1922, page N172).
During the 1920s and early 1930s, numerous programs were carried out on the property, with little success. A 35-metre crosscut failed to intersect the vein; a drift in another adit lost the vein after 14 metres. At least 5 adits and several trenches were completed in an effort to follow the faulted vein segments. The lack of continuity of the vein structure appears to have been the main obstacle. This period of exploration and development on the KILLARNEY ended about 1935.
In 1959, H.O. Cooper produced 4 tonnes of crude ore from the KILARNEY property, presumably from the old dumps and talus. The ore yielded 14090 grams of silver, 1133 kilograms of lead and 38 kilograms of zinc. No further details about this operation are available.
In 1983, Mohawk Oil Company Ltd. optioned the KILLARNEY property and carried out a program of Geological mapping, trenching and geophysical surveys (magnetometer, VLF-EM and self-potential). A total of 12 trenches were excavated, the most significant of which was trench L-11.
A mineralized structure exposed for about 30 metres in trench L-11 strikes 309 degrees and dips 74 degrees to the northeast. It is thought to be an extension of the mineralized zone that was mined in the old underground workings a short distance to the east. A grab sample from a 12-centimetre wide quartz vein in andesite containing galena and sphalerite assayed 335 grams per tonne silver, 0.08 per cent lead and 0.04 per cent zinc (Assessment Report 13356).
A grab sample of a pyritic quartz porphyry dike exposed in trench L-8, a short distance to the south of the adits, assayed 1.7 grams per tonne gold (Assessment Report 13356). The geophysical program identified a number of anomalies, including some associated with mineralized structures.