The AVERILL showing is located on the northwest flank of Mount Franklin, approximately 1.75 kilometres north-northwest of the summit.
The showing consists of several outcrops, trenches and an old adit which expose a pyroxenite disrupted and invaded by syenite of the Eocene Coryell Intrusions. Two intrusive phases are recognized in the informally named Averill alkali complex. The first phase consists of a gradational package of monzonitic rocks which grade from pyroxenite to monzodiorite to monzonite. The late phase is a coarse-grained to locally pegmatitic syenite. The pyroxenite has been biotitized and, in places along fractures, sulphide enriched. Blebs of chalcopyrite occur in small veinlets of syenitic composition and as coatings on, or as disseminations within, envelopes or fractures cutting the pyroxenite. Bornite is also noted.
The AVERILL group was located by B.J. Averill in 1910 and 1911. No work is recorded on the showing during the early 1900s when the Franklin camp was very active. However, an old adit, a shaft and several pits are believed to date from that period.
In 1918 the AVERILL showing was investigated for its platinum potential. A sample of pyroxenite containing pyrite and chalcopyrite, was collected from the adit dump. It assayed 3.06 grams per tonne platinum (Thomlinson, W. (1920): Mineral Investigations - Platinum, Munitions Resources Commission, Canada, Final Report, page 164).
In 1964, Franklin Mines Ltd. acquired much of the Franklin camp and carried out detailed geological mapping and geophysical surveys in a number of locations, including the AVERILL area. The weighted average of a total of 39 metres of channel sampling assayed 0.136 per cent copper and 0.04 gram per tonne platinum (Assessment Report 637). Several magnetic anomalies, discovered by Franklin Mines, were found to be due to disseminated magnetite within the pyroxenite body and along the margins of the syenite.
In 1985-86, Longreach Resources Ltd. acquired much of the Franklin camp area, including the AVERILL showing. Longreach carried out geophysical surveys in this area in late 1985 and 1986. Several magnetic highs and VLF-EM conductors were identified in the AVERILL area. In late 1986, Longreach carried out an 8-hole diamond-drill program near the AVERILL adit. Drillhole DDH-18 intersected 0.30 metre of mineralization between 39.17 metres and 39.47 metres which assayed 0.42 per cent copper, 8.0 grams per tonne silver, 0.36 gram per tonne platinum and 0.25 gram per tonne palladium (Assessment Report 15964).
In 1987, Longreach's property, now known as the PLATINUM BLONDE property, was optioned to Placer Dome Inc. who proceeded to carry out a major exploration program over the area. A high-grade, surface grab sample assayed 6.7 per cent copper, 53.6 grams per tonne silver, 0.9 gram per tonne platinum and 3.5 grams per tonne palladium (Assessment Report 17273). One diamond drillhole, PDI 87-32, was drilled under the AVERILL adit; however only traces of chalcopyrite were intersected and no further work was carried out near the AVERILL showing.