The BANNER showing is located on reverted Crown grant Lot 1199, approximately 800 metres southwest of Mount Franklin.
The showing consists of gold and silver bearing quartz veins which are hosted by andesite and dacite flows and tuffs of the Eocene Marron Formation, Penticton Group. Quartz veins are also hosted by the underlying siliceous tuff, quartzite and calcareous conglomerate of the Devonian-Triassic Harper Ranch Group. Mineralization, consisting of up to several per cent pyrite, galena, sphalerite and chalcopyrite, is found in a quartz gangue. Breccia fragments are common in the veins. Anomalous gold and silver assays have come from 2 areas: the adit area, and an area about 250 metres north of the adit. This latter area is referred to as the north BANNER and is included in the BANNER occurrence. Mineralization is similar at both locations.
The BANNER claim was staked in 1896 by Frank McFarlane and was one of the first claims in the Franklin area. In 1900, the property consisted of a 3-metre wide quartz vein with 2 small shafts and a 55-metre long crosscut. Samples from the vein contained values in gold, silver, copper and zinc. In 1901, the crosscut was extended to 61 metres and sample shipments were sent to a smelter. By 1905 the adit had been extended to 70 metres, intersecting a 9.75-metre wide quartz vein, which was reported to contain "heavy showings of chalcopyrite" (Minister of Mines Annual Report 1905, page 187). Lead and zinc sulphides were also noted. Some drilling was carried out in late 1905 or 1906, with negative results. Another report refers to a 4-hole drill program in 1908, although it is not clear whether more than one program was ever carried out. In 1911, the BANNER claim was Crown granted to F.W. Russell and associates.
In 1968, Franklin Mines Ltd. carried out an exploration program in the Franklin camp; however, the only work in the vicinity of the BANNER Crown grant appears to be some road construction. Line cutting was also carried out in 1968.
In 1974, D.W. Tully carried out a property examination for Dallas Explorations Ltd. and recommended a program of geophysical surveys and diamond-drilling.
In 1986, Longreach Resources Ltd. staked and optioned much of the Franklin camp area, including the BANNER Crown grant. It is probable that Longreach prospected this area, although no reports were filed that are specific to this area.
In 1987, Longreach's property, now known as the PLATINUM BLONDE property, was optioned to Placer Dome Inc. who proceeded to carry out a major exploration program. In the BANNER area, Placer sampled some of the many pits and cat trenches. Grab sample number 16783, collected 50 metres southeast of the BANNER adit, assayed 1.13 grams per tonne gold, 48 grams per tonne silver, 0.97 per cent copper, 3.08 per cent zinc and 4.48 per cent lead (Assessment Report 17273). Sample number 16794, which was collected from a pit 240 metres north- northeast of the adit, assayed 9.27 grams per tonne gold, 45 grams per tonne silver, 0.27 per cent copper, 6.00 per cent zinc and 2.12 per cent lead (Assessment Report 17273).
In 1993, Sway Resources Inc. optioned a large number of Crown grants and claims in this area, including the BANNER Crown grant. They proceeded to carry out prospecting, sampling, geological mapping and a 16-hole rotary and diamond-drill program on the BANNER and HOMESTAKE (082ENE051) Crown grants. A 3.05-metre intersection in the north BANNER area assayed 8.55 grams per tonne gold (Property File - Sway Resources Inc., Statement of Material Facts, dated February 14, 1994). The exact location of this drillhole is not on record.
No further exploration, apart from minor assessment work programs to keep some of the claims in good standing, was completed on the Franklin property until it was acquired as a listing property by Tuxedo Resources Ltd. in 2001. Tuxedo assembled a very large land package, by way of 7 separate option agreements. An airborne geophysical survey was completed over the property in 2001.
The focus of the 2003 program by Tuxedo was to test the Homestake (082ENE051) - Banner vein area. Work consisted of 40 line kilometres of flag/picket grid constructed on the “Homestake” grid which apparently covered the Banner area. Nine NQ diamond drill holes totaling 490.6 metres were completed and 364 metres of trenching in 15 trenches were completed. Eight of the holes tested the Banner vein and one the IXL prospect (082ENE033). Samples collected and analyzed included: 292 soil, 288 rock, 111 trench and 110 drill core.
Drilling showed that the Banner vein pinches out rapidly at depth, with no significant increase in gold grade. The best results from drilling was 4.0 metres grading 2.35 grams per tonne gold, 19.25 grams per tonne silver, 0.23 per cent copper,0.65 per cent lead and 3.16 per cent zinc (Assessment Report 27328). The Banner zone was described in 2003 as an intensely silicified zone, rather than a true vein. Contacts to the zone are gradational, where not disrupted by later faulting. Its true thickness ranges up to 11 meters near surface, but pinches out rapidly at depth. Drilling and trenching failed to trace the Banner vein on strike to the east. Intermittent outcrops, float and old workings on similar silicified material continue for approximately 250 meters on strike to the northwest.
Tusxedo Resources changed its name to Signature Resources Ltd. in 2004.